Priming problems

All 3 and 4–hole turret presses.
rman
My Press Choice: Turret

Priming problems

Post by rman »

I like my Lee Classic Turret, but do have a few problems with it. At times, the shell casing isn't lined up perfectly and I have to fiddle with it to get a new primer to seat. Also, occasionally the primer arm hangs in the ram. These are little things that I have learned how to work around. What really bugs me is the priming system. I've read all the tips I could find and watched the Lee video, but the darn thing still doesn't work right. If I leave the bolt a little loose, I can get it to feed a new primer almost every time, but it will NEVER feed the last 2 or 3 primers. I use this press to load 9x19mm, .40 S&W, .357 Mag and .45 ACP. I have spare turrets and powder measures and leave the dies mounted. It makes caliber changes easy and fast. Now if I could just get the priming system to work, I'd have it made. I see others using these things and it looks pretty slick. Did I just get defective attachments or am I just plain dumb? Help!
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Priming problems

Post by 62chevy »

No you are not dumb !!! And not the only one with the same problems. Mine is left lose too and I find wiggling it back and forth helps. Yup the last 2 can be a real pain, sometimes shaking helps and sometimes I just have to take them out and insert by hand. Compared to other systems that cost much more I'll stick with the Lee Safety Primer.
Je suis Charlie
ljnowel
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by ljnowel »

The primer feed relies on gravity, so it's common for it not to feed the last couple.

If you align the bracket you will find that you can tighten the bolt down fine. I'll see if I can find a video showing how to do it.

One of the main things that got me to move to a Lee Pro1000 is that stupid little primer arm sticking and falling out of the ram when using it. I got tired of picking it up off the floor.
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 62chevy »

ljnowel wrote:The primer feed relies on gravity, so it's common for it not to feed the last couple.

If you align the bracket you will find that you can tighten the bolt down fine. I'll see if I can find a video showing how to do it.

One of the main things that got me to move to a Lee Pro1000 is that stupid little primer arm sticking and falling out of the ram when using it. I got tired of picking it up off the floor.

Good point on gravity. Some times shaking helps and other time you have to take 'em out to finish loading.
Je suis Charlie
mikld
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter

Post by mikld »

I didn't see what tool you are using for priming. The stock arm that rides in a slot in the ram? (wouldn't think so, you mentioned a "bolt"). I polished the sides of the tool/priming arm and keep the slot clean; no problems (a piece of emery or crocus cloth or very fine sandpaper, on a flat surface. Place the arm flat on the cloth, add a bit of oil, polish the sides against the cloth).
rman

Post by rman »

mikld wrote:I didn't see what tool you are using for priming. The stock arm that rides in a slot in the ram? (wouldn't think so, you mentioned a "bolt"). I polished the sides of the tool/priming arm and keep the slot clean; no problems (a piece of emery or crocus cloth or very fine sandpaper, on a flat surface. Place the arm flat on the cloth, add a bit of oil, polish the sides against the cloth).
That's a good idea - thanks! The tool I was talking about was the Lee Safety primer attachment. It consists of a plastic deal that looks like a primer flipper with a little chute that feeds the primers down to the primer arm in the ram. It attaches to the press on the bolt in the right front bar that supports the turret. I've watched Lee's video on how to set it up, but it still doesn't work right for me.
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Maximumbob54 »

Loosen that bolt just enough that with some force you can tweak the angle the Safety Prime drops. I too had this dribbling primer on toes problem and it took a minute to figure it out. The best I can say is what to your eye looks lined up just isn't lined up enough. Keep moving it in one direction until you stop getting primers between your toes.

I have (had at this point) a couple of shell holders where the primer cup would hang up just a bit. I just took each shell holder and with a dremel tool and a stone polished the hole a tiny bit. Don't go nuts with the dremel of course.

I hate to say this but this is the price you pay for the price you are buying. I could spend a heck of a lot more in green blue or other red but I find my Lee gear works just fine 99% of the time. And when it doesn't it's an easy fix or mod to make it work just fine.
rman

Post by rman »

Maximumbob54 wrote:I hate to say this but this is the price you pay for the price you are buying. I could spend a heck of a lot more in green blue or other red but I find my Lee gear works just fine 99% of the time. And when it doesn't it's an easy fix or mod to make it work just fine.
I realize you usually get what you pay for, and for the money, the Classic Turret is a great buy. I don't really complain about it much because I didn't pay Dillon, Hornady or RCBS prices for it. As far as I know, it's the only progressive turret around, and while it doesn't always work like I think it should, it still lets me load quality ammo faster than I can on a single stage press. I've tried about everything I've read or heard to get the Safety Prime to work like it should to no avail. Instead I just load primers one at a time. It's a little slower, but it's a never miss proposition. I not complaining, just trying to figure out how to make it better.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

rman wrote:I just load primers one at a time. It's a little slower, but it's a never miss proposition. I not complaining, just trying to figure out how to make it better.
One way I've made it better is hand priming prior to the press. I use the Ergo Prime.
Michael
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Maximumbob54 »

I'm going to sound like a snit and I swear I'm no meaning to.

The Lee Classic Turret is "auto indexing" but not progressive...

The Dillon RL550 is "progressive" but not auto indexing...

The Classic Turret has the square rod insert that with the movement of the arm causes the auto indexing but only one station on the turret does anything.

The RL550 is progressive because while the turret is fixed the shell plate is fulles loaded with cases and the arm raising the shell plate means each case has a action performed thus being progressive. The rub is that the shell plate is manual indexing meaning the star in the center must be rotated each time by hand.

I found the RL550 to be about twice as fast as the Classic Turret when I used it. But then I find the Classic Turret to be so easy to use, trouble free of jams, and refilling primers to take less than a minute. But then while I never tracked just how long it took me to fill all the primer tubes I used it was a chore to fill them from the primer flip tray. And oh my don't you dare bog down on the Dillon (or any progressive really) or you may as well pull most if not all the cases and just start over. The Classic Turret won't spit out loaded ammo as fast as any progressive but it's really easy to use, very consistant, and nearly trouble free. Add to that it's so pathetic easy to switch cartridges on the Classic turret even from small to large primer or handgun to rifle. Even my much loved Hornady LNL AP isn't that easy. As a last positive plug for the Classic Turret, you are pretty much eyes on that case from start to finish so you catch any trouble right away. Miss a primer, split case neck, or any other issue you see it right then and there. With a progressive it's almost too easy to produce a fail.

Return to “Turret”