Cleaning primer pockets?

All 3 and 4–hole turret presses.
tom
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Cleaning primer pockets?

Post by tom »

I bought a lee classic turret on impulse a while back and haven't used it yet. I have used only single stage presses for longer than I care to admit. I usually use a primer pocket uniformer to clean the pockets.
Watching several utube vids, I see guys size/deprime, and then immediately seat the primer. It would seem to me that the residue in the pocket would build to unacceptable levels after a few loadings.
Maybe I'm just too obsessive about such things, as I've never tried to see how long I could go without cleaning the pockets.
On the other hand, depriming, removing the case, cleaning, and putting it back in the shell holder, would negate the advantages of a turret or progressive press.
Am I missing something, or isn't cleaning as important as I thought?
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: Cleaning primer pockets?

Post by akuser47 »

I clean mine from habit though I know many that don't. Never Tested it out to see.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Fyodor
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Fyodor »

Most people I know don't clean primer pockets at all. I deprime first (in my LEE pro1000 with a universal decapper) and wet tumble afterwards, so my primer pockets are clean.

The debris won't built up, most of it falls out when the primer is removed. At least from what I observed, the stuff stays about the same over a longer period of time.

I actually own a LEE primer pocket cleaner, but never even opened the packaging. During the last 14 days I fired over 600 rounds of pistol ammo (not including the 200 shotgun rounds). Cleaning every single pocket by hand would be a real PITA...
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by akuser47 »

I use a drill on low speed n chuck the Lee primer pocket cleaner into it. Seems to work ok. No idea if needed but I don't mind.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Steelbanger
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Steelbanger »

I couldn't change my habit of cleaning primer pockets if I wanted to since I have been doing it for many years. With a single stage press, I can stop wherever I am in the loading process and do things like wiping the sizing lube from the case and cleaning primer pockets. Next would be checking case length and then trimming if necessary. Seating the primers would be next in line to be completed.

I remember reading long ago, in a book by Warren Page, "The Accurate Rifle", about cleaning the primer pockets. Among other accomplishments Mr. Page was an avid benchrest shooter and on the topic of cleaning primer pockets said that he knew some record holding shooters that never cleaned out the pockets while other excellent shooters cleaned them every time they were fired. So I guess that it all boils down to whatever we decide upon.
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 62chevy »

I started cleaning pockets last year when I first started reloading with the Classic Loader. When I bought the Turret I stopped but keep wondering how dirty they were sooo started decapping before tumbling. Now I hate the corn cobs stuck in the flash hole, lol.
Je suis Charlie
Fyodor

Post by Fyodor »

That doesn't happen with the stainless steel wet tumbling pins ;)
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 62chevy »

Fyodor wrote:That doesn't happen with the stainless steel wet tumbling pins ;)

True but I'm a tite wad and couldn't bring myself to spend the little extra it coast to wet tumble. :lol:
Je suis Charlie
Steve

Post by Steve »

When I used to prime on the Loadmaster I loaded many thousand 40 S&W progressively without cleaning any priming pockets. I think the biggest problem I had was crud dropping from the pp to the priming mechanism, which caused a low percentage of bad priming jobs.

Also loaded many 223 Rem progressively by just neck sizing for a single bolt action rifle. That is also history now because of loading for 4 different rifles.

I now prime everything before loading so I clean all rifle primer pockets. The jury is still out on whether I will clean all pistol case pp, I'm going to clean a couple thousand before priming, then decide.
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 62chevy »

Deprime then tumbling does a good job of cleaning the primer pockets.
Je suis Charlie

Return to “Turret”