Lee case feeder tubes

The Pro 1000, 4000, and the Six-Pack Pro presses. We also include the "Legacy" progressive presses; the Load-Master, Auto Breech Lock Pro
horseman
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Lee case feeder tubes

Post by horseman »

I'm not real sure if I'm missing something in my "search" for the small case feeder tubes. It used to be that a person could buy just the small tubes (I believe they are 3/8" ID) to use in the large case feeder, you just dropped the smaller tubes down into the large tubes. Worked just fine. The LM I just received is in 45acp so has the large case feeder (which you can buy for about 25 bucks) and I do have 3 of the small tubes left over from I guess the 9mm unit I sold awhile back, but I wanted to get some "new" ones as these are a bit "weary" looking. Well all I can find "googling" small case feeder tubes is the small case feeder in it's entirety for the paltry sum of 42 dollars and change. :shock: .....lets see, large case feeder setup 25 bucks, small case feeder setup 42 dollars and change. Now I'm pretty sure this must be the new "universal" casefeeder for that amount but what the heck.. :x think I'll look for some plastic tubing elsewhere and make my own. 42 bucks, not happening...... :S
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: Lee case feeder tubes

Post by Ranch Dog »

Dude, I'm hitting the bed so will be back in the morning. There is a case tube pack but you will need the small case tube base or at least the small case tube adapter that goes in the feeder base or the small tubes will slide through the base and jam the case slider. These are all old school parts, but you should still be able to find them.

The new case feeder does it all.
Michael
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

Ranch Dog wrote:Dude, I'm hitting the bed so will be back in the morning. There is a case tube pack but you will need the small case tube base or at least the small case tube adapter that goes in the feeder base or the small tubes will slide through the base and jam the case slider. These are all old school parts, but you should still be able to find them.

The new case feeder does it all.

O.K. I think I follow the drift. With the info you gave me and a bit more "investigating" I see where the ONE case feeder is supposed to do everything now. I am a bit curious as to how well a small case like a 9mm will feed through the large tubes but it must work. I also see several vendors with it for about 25 bucks so that's what I'm going to do. The idea of just having one feeder instead of three sounds good but I only know of one thing that's a true "one size fits all" though, so I am a bit skeptical. :lol:
Fyodor
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter

Post by Fyodor »

horseman wrote:The idea of just having one feeder instead of three sounds good but I only know of one thing that's a true "one size fits all" though, so I am a bit skeptical. :lol:
The new universal feeder has adapter plates that reduce the outlet to the desired diameter. But you don't need different assemblies any more. Just slide in the necessary plate.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Yeap the old Large and Small Case Feeders have gone away real quick. One fellow has the complete kit (#90659) on eBay, but you are probably better off buying the new Universal Case Feeder as when the dust settles, the cost is the same.
Michael
EdgeOfEden

Post by EdgeOfEden »

horseman wrote:I'm not real sure if I'm missing something in my "search" for the small case feeder tubes. It used to be that a person could buy just the small tubes (I believe they are 3/8" ID) to use in the large case feeder, you just dropped the smaller tubes down into the large tubes. Worked just fine. :S
Regarding the old small and large case feeders, the tubes for each were the same size. The aluminum bushing at the bottom was a different size to properly feed the different size cases. One, for example, would handle 9mm and the other 45 acp. I have the small, large, and rifle case feeders and all the tubes are identical.

I believe what you are thinking of, horseman, was the Lee Bullet Feeders. For smaller bullets you would place a smaller tube in the larger tube.

While the Universal Case Feeder does allow for one feeder to handle all manufacturer intended cases, you have to do some minor (but still a few minutes) dissassembly to alter it so it will feed one or the other. Personally, if it fits your budget, I would buy two; so you could still have one for large and one for small and continue to move right along. Just label them for quick recognition. If not, one Universal Case Feeder will do the job.

If you are going to do .223/5.56, be sure to check out the Bulletin Fix I posted for the UCF.
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

EdgeOfEden wrote:
Regarding the old small and large case feeders, the tubes for each were the same size. The aluminum bushing at the bottom was a different size to properly feed the different size cases. One, for example, would handle 9mm and the other 45 acp. I have the small, large, and rifle case feeders and all the tubes are identical.

I believe what you are thinking of, horseman, was the Lee Bullet Feeders. For smaller bullets you would place a smaller tube in the larger tube.

You are right. I was using the Lee multi-feeder with the Hornady bullet feeder die for 9mm and had the smaller tubes to go inside the large. Thanks for that info.

If you are going to do .223/5.56, be sure to check out the Bulletin Fix I posted for the UCF.
I read that, good stuff. I don't think I'll be doing 223/556 on the Loadmaster, I have a Pro 2000 with a 223 setup using RCBS's X-dies that I think will do a better job for that caliber. As far as "extra" for the case feeder, the press came with the large size, and I have another multi tube setup I bought for the above bullet feeder (that I don't use) so I will actually have three base pieces. Should work. Thanks for the help.
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

Fyodor wrote:The new universal feeder has adapter plates that reduce the outlet to the desired diameter. But you don't need different assemblies any more. Just slide in the necessary plate.

Actually the unit comes with no "plates". What it has is one small plastic piece called the small plug. It's installed in the large hole when setting up for small case feed. The small plug, slides under the top part that swivels (there's a slot for it). To convert to large, plug is removed, hex head bolt is removed, and moved to opposite side of feeder (there are hex head bolt holes on both sides of unit) unit is reinstalled in that configuration. Sounds complicated but it's not. Of course the Universal Case Feeder I just received came with the small plug, MISSING!!!!!! that's the part needed to be able to use this thing with small cases. I probably shouldn't allow this to bother me, and it didn't to much when I unpacked it and went into my reloading room to set it up to run some 9mm cases, but the more I think about it the madder I get. Really Lee, you can't get ONE lousy case feeder setup (has basically 4 parts) put together for shipping. You even show the place to "store" the darn thing so not to lose it in the instructions. Yeah, I know, call Lee Monday and they'll send me one for free (probably) and I'll only have to wait a few more days to receive it. Sure, all is well, give em' a pass on it. That's what I'll do, no other choice, but I don't have to like it.... :evil:
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

horseman wrote:Of course the Universal Case Feeder I just received came with the small plug, MISSING!!!!!! that's the part needed to be able to use this thing with small cases. I probably shouldn't allow this to bother me, and it didn't to much when I unpacked it and went into my reloading room to set it up to run some 9mm cases, but the more I think about it the madder I get. Really Lee, you can't get ONE lousy case feeder setup (has basically 4 parts) put together for shipping. You even show the place to "store" the darn thing so not to lose it in the instructions. Yeah, I know, call Lee Monday and they'll send me one for free (probably) and I'll only have to wait a few more days to receive it. Sure, all is well, give em' a pass on it. That's what I'll do, no other choice, but I don't have to like it.... :evil:
Yeah, that would make me a bit tight too, but I'd be over it by Monday. I was going to suggest that when you talk to them, just buy the reconditioned 9mm Luger LM they have listed for $211! I was going to include the link, but someone already bought it.
Michael

Return to “Progressive”