Classic turret kit for a n00b

All 3 and 4–hole turret presses.
AmmoDump
My Press Choice: Turret

Classic turret kit for a n00b

Post by AmmoDump »

Hi,
I just ordered the classic turret kit for $185 because it seemed a great value and able to meet my needs. My short term goal figure out exactly what else I need to buy. I'm planning to get the .40 carbide 3 die set unless there is a reason to need the 4th? Other than that I have digital calipers and will consider an electronic scale in the near future ... anything else I need? I am going to check with friends about powder and primer orders to either buy local or go together to save hazmat.

Until my kit gets here on Wednesday are there any recommendations for reading and/or videos to get up to speed? What are some good sources and prices for .40 materials? I've seen an ad for a local person that sells once shot brass, is that something I should investigate? Thank you in advance for helping the FNG.
5akman
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: Classic turret kit for a n00b

Post by 5akman »

Lots of good info online regarding the Classic. Check youtube for some "tips/tune up" videos. I have a classic but don't use it much since I've purchased a Loadmaster. If I were to start using the classic again tho, I'd invest in the reverse rotation components as that will speed up the process considerably.
Value Turret, Loadmaster, CH single stage, Mec 600jr
scotland
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by scotland »

I have the classic and love it. Just put the reverse kit on from inline fabrication. Haven't done a reloading session with it. Lots of questions here. ABC to Reloading is a great source and Lee's book. Definitely a digital scale. Lee's works good though. YouTube videos are a good suggestion. Search for Lee classic reload.
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 62chevy »

I too have the Classic Turret Press and love it. Lee has a video on how many rounds in one minute with the Turret and believe they did 5 so if you can keep that pace up that would be 300 an hour. I do 75 to 100 in an hour but that is more than plenty for me. I also would recommend the 4 die set as the Factory Crimp Die is very useful. Trying to crimp on the seating die can be a major PITA for the beginner. Add that the Factory Crimp Die (FCD) will solve problems the Seating Die cant.
Je suis Charlie
DaveInGA
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by DaveInGA »

Howdy,

Some answers in red in the quote below:
AmmoDump wrote:Hi,
I just ordered the classic turret kit for $185 because it seemed a great value and able to meet my needs. My short term goal figure out exactly what else I need to buy. I'm planning to get the .40 carbide 3 die set unless there is a reason to need the 4th? Get the four die set. It allows you to separate your seating and crimping operations. This makes it easier for someone new to reloading to adjust the dies. What firearm are you reloading the .40 for and are you using cast bullets or jacketed? There are some considerations for these areas you may want to look at. The press is an excellent choice.

Other than that I have digital calipers and will consider an electronic scale in the near future ... anything else I need? Having worked in electronics for a career that included high quality electronic scales, I would advise against buying a cheap electronic scale (all of the electronic reloading scales are cheap ones). Instead, buy a quality older beam scale, like the RCBS 5-10 off of ebay. You'll be glad you did long term.

I am going to check with friends about powder and primer orders to either buy local or go together to save hazmat. Good idea to do a group buy.

Until my kit gets here on Wednesday are there any recommendations for reading and/or videos to get up to speed? Other than the Lee videos, youtube is your friend, do a search there and watch anything that looks like it might help you.

What are some good sources and prices for .40 materials?
http://powdervalleyinc.com/

I've seen an ad for a local person that sells once shot brass, is that something I should investigate? Yes and the swap & sell forum at http://castboolits.gunloads.com/ - towards bottom of page.

Thank you in advance for helping the FNG.
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 62chevy »

One more thing on the balance beam scale, level it every time you use it both fore and aft and port and starboard. There is a threat on here were someone made a three legged rest for his Lee scale so it could be easily adjusted and raise it up for easy viewing.
Je suis Charlie
mikld
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter

Post by mikld »

Several years ago I bought a Lee turret press and while setting it up the first time it would index when I didn't want it to, so I disabled the auto-index feature (I didn't need/want a semi-progressive press). I have reloaded a whole bunch of ammo in the 13 years I've had that press and I still hand index. If I wanna go from start to finish on my press it's no big deal to hand index but I mostly batch load (preform one or two operations on a case/cartridge at a time) 100-200 cases at a time.
Poppop
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Poppop »

Classic Turret is great. Once you get used to it, it is smooth flowing. Get an RBCS 505 beam scale. I did and don't even think about a digital scale. Get the 4 die set and a set of funnels
Have fun
If all else fails--look for the obvious
MAGA
DaveInGA
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by DaveInGA »

One thing you should be aware of about any new mechanical scale you buy. Ohaus, the manufacturer of most of the scales out there now, has apparently stopped making these in the United States and all of the reloading equipment companies are now selling scales manufactured off shore. Unfortunately, at the present time, they are not getting good reviews and are of dubious quality.

Your best option is to buy a used scale on ebay.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

62chevy wrote:There is a threat on here were someone made a three legged rest for his Lee scale so it could be easily adjusted and raise it up for easy viewing.
Not sure why you would need to build in an level adjustment. That is what the "Zero Adjusting Poise" is for.
Safety_Scale_Components.jpg
Mine Safety Scale sits on a fold down shelf and I even took an extra step of outlining where it sits so it is always in the same spot. Since setting it up, I've never needed to adjust it further. I do keep it dust free as well.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael

Return to “Turret”