Lee TL 358-158SWC

Topics concerning individual handgun & rifle bullet designs, buckshot, and shotgun slugs.
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Lee TL 358-158SWC

Post by Maximumbob54 »

Or as I like to call it, Lee's .38/.357 workhorse. It's not pretty, it's not exciting, it's not innovative, and it may get passed over for it's tumble lube design but it's the most accurate, easy to cast, feeds in lever actions, best all around performing little plain jane I've found for .38's and .357 loads. I started several years ago with a two cavity mold as my first mold for loading my own .38's and thank goodness because it's probably the best starter luck I've ever had. I don't get picky over seating depth and just crimp them in the top most groove. I've shot them as cast, sized to .358" and .359", used Lee Liquid alox, 45/45/10 (and soon BLL), I've even tried them in pan lubed beeswax and alox, they've been Klass Kote epoxy coated, I've dry tumbled them in powder coating, I've run them with soda can plain base checks, and no matter what I do they always seem to work. Being a true 158gr they tend to shoot to point of aim with most any revolver. I cannot stress enough how good this little bullet is.

This is a small batch drying with BLL on them:

I look forward to the afternoon spent at the range with these. +guns
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: Lee TL 358-158SWC

Post by RBHarter »

I like the 401-175 in a 40 S&W but I prefer the 358-158 RF in 38/357 .

I was actually surprised that the SWC fed so well in the auto it is also 1 of only 3 combinations in all of the cartridges I load that actually gets better as it reaches maximum loads and hits all of the numbers by the book.
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
DaveInGA
250 Shots
250 Shots
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by DaveInGA »

Is that the best of the Lee "off the shelf" 158 grain molds? I have a couple .38 special snubs and my step son has a 6" .357 S&W that is going to need some cartridges soon.

Additionally, I want a Ruger SP 101 3" as a car gun and a GP100 as a bedroom gun.

I need one really good casting, good shooting, easy to lube and easy to feed in a bullet feeder mold. Just one, preferably in a six cavity. I'm going to buy two so I can do the BruceB.

Is this the one or should I look elsewhere? Why are .357 magnum brass cases so hard to find in large quantities? So many molds, so little time....

Have you reloaded these and shot them yet? How'd they do? Dang, I'm fulla questions this morning.
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Maximumbob54 »

If you are asking about the TL SWC mold then that's strictly a personal preference. But I much prefer it to the other Lee 158gr offerings and have cast many of them. MANY OF THEM. With just ordinary Lee Liquid Alox (LLA) I've not found a more accurate .38 special bullet in any of my loadings. With the plain base checks I've lately been loading them in magnum loads and they are still accurate and don't lead the bore.

The RF mold works as well but I don't care for the amount of beveled base it has. I've had leading issues with this bullet and I've always pointed my finger at the huge beveled edge on the base as the culprit. And it's so much that I can't even add a plain base check to it. Top that off with my Lee and RCBS seating dies mare the edge of the meplat and I've just grown tired of the design and never cast with it again.

I've never tried the C158-358SWC mold because I don't care for gas check base molds that really need a check for any real accuracy and the TL158-358 2R's RN design does nothing for me in that I don't need a round nose mold for anything.
mikld
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter

Post by mikld »

I have 2 molds from Lee for 158 gr. SWC, the tumble lube style and a standard lube groove style. I keep a bunch of unlubed cast of both styles handy for quick lube and shoot. All my .38s and .357s shoot these bullets quite well when sized to the cylinder throats and lubed with either 45-45-10 or my home made "Speed Green"...

Return to “Bullets, Buckshot, & Slugs”