Neck size only with full length sizing die?

Carbide and Steel die sets plus the Carbide, Bottle Neck Pistol Cartridge, and Factory Crimp Dies. Also the Bulge Buster Kit.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: Neck size only with full length sizing die?

Post by Ranch Dog »

Maximumbob54 wrote:How does that work? I thought you had to heat up the neck and then tip the case over into water? I've seen units like that where you set a bucket with water under the unit and they drop the cases into the bucket right after heating.
That is pretty much what happens. The unit I bought actually has three "burner arms", I will plumb them to a single bottle. The wheel is rotating counterclockwise so you load the front and as they rotate around through the last burner position they are dumped. To figure out the initial speed of the wheel, you use Tempilaq which is a specific heat sensitive coating. You use the knob on the front of the unit to control that speed and when the timing is right for the temperature you just keep a record of that setting for that cartridge.

There is another topic on this subject that has the video of the unit. As much as I shoot, adding just one more cycle to my brass life will pay for this unit in 6 months.
Michael
Pb2au
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by Pb2au »

Here is a pic of case failure I mentioned earlier.
WP_20130710_001.jpg
I am not sure of the exact amount of loadings on this particular case, but I am certain it is above 10. Those loads were pretty mild too.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Yeah, that is how my failed 45 Colt cases look. I'm going to start annealing them head to toe and on every reload to see if it affects the case life any.
Michael
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by RBHarter »

I have long annealed the 10th reload on 38/357 and 45Colts because the cases get too hard to seal in my RBH and Sec 6 in 45 and 38 .
2nd I only neck size the Colts because new brass is over $.50/ea and my dies leave the finished case looking like a Coke bottle. Rather than size the whole case to .465 od then bell and flair the mouth back to 449 id and blow it back to 481 od every time ,I size just what the bullet occupies then bell and size . I probably have 25 or more loads on 50 or so cases. If and when I get ''neck'' splits I should be able to cut those cases back to 45 Mag or acp lengths and load accordingly .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by Maximumbob54 »

Ranch Dog wrote:Yeah, that is how my failed 45 Colt cases look. I'm going to start annealing them head to toe and on every reload to see if it affects the case life any.
Any follow up on this? Did it help any?
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Sorry for the delay Maximum, I've had to rework the operating files on my Rossi forum so my presence has been thin here. Thanks for reporting the spammer, I banned him and deleted his topic.

I haven't been shoot many 45 Colts lately, just working with other things, but I am annealing the neck and mouth of everything I shoot. I did a test "cycle of 35 Rem cases and slowed down on trying to get them to fail. I added Lee Collet Sizing to the mix after the first shot from the brass. They are sitting on the bench good as new. I need to find my post for the details but after some careful measurements, they are still new. Want to say that they have 13 reloading cycles on them. 35 Rem has been a cartridge that has had VERY short case life for me.
Ranch Dog wrote:Yeah, that is how my failed 45 Colt cases look. I'm going to start annealing them head to toe and on every reload to see if it affects the case life any.
That statement should read "neck to mouth", my mistake!
Michael

Return to “Handgun”