X-Terminator and Auto Drum (Solved)

Auto Disk, Pro Auto Disk, and Auto Drum Powder Measures along with their associated charge bar, disks, and drums.
Uncle Chan
My Press Choice: Lee Loader

X-Terminator and Auto Drum (Solved)

Post by Uncle Chan »

All, first post. Long time Lee fan.

I have an auto drum and love it. However, when using it with X-Terminator and the large drum, the powder pours through it like water. Even with the large drum adjusted all of the way up, it overflows the case. X-Terminator is a microfine ball powder. Any ideas? Im using the measure on a single stage. Tried it with and without push button safety. Same results. Your thoughts?

***See my post below for my explanation as to why I shouldn't have been allowed to procreate***

D
Last edited by Uncle Chan on 21 Feb 2016 13:45, edited 1 time in total.
horseman
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: X-Terminator and Auto Drum

Post by horseman »

The measure should have come with a "plug" for the large rotor for smaller charges. Is the small rotor TO small of an opening for the charge you're using? Eastern WA? not far from me.
Uncle Chan

Post by Uncle Chan »

I will have to mess with it a bit. I was charging roughly 24 gr. It would work a couple times and then dump too much. Strange. What's the max on the small drum? Any ideas?

Goldendale eh? Colfax/Pullman here.
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by daboone »

Uncle Chan wrote:All, first post. Long time Lee fan.
..... Even with the large drum adjusted all of the way up, it overflows the case. X-Terminator is a microfine ball powder. D
Looking for clarification of this statement "adjusted all the way up" . Are you talking about the powder adjusting screw or the drum's rotation?
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

Uncle Chan wrote:I will have to mess with it a bit. I was charging roughly 24 gr. It would work a couple times and then dump too much. Strange. What's the max on the small drum? Any ideas?

Goldendale eh? Colfax/Pullman here.

Aha, good area. Headin' over to Post Falls Tuesday. Gonna be a "day" trip only. Loooooong day. Back to the Auto Drum, I've used the small drum for 27gr. loads of CFE 223 and that's not near the max for the drum. I'm guessin' somewhere in the 40gr. area and I believe the large drum is "advertised" to handle up to 80gr, but I would have to revisit that info to be sure. Most reviews on the AD I've read have been positive, however, I've not had the "better than sliced bread" results some have reported. I'm still on the fence about it, I do know I don't really trust it to be consistant enough that I'd get rid of my other measures and I won't be buying another one.
Uncle Chan

Post by Uncle Chan »

daboone wrote:
Uncle Chan wrote:All, first post. Long time Lee fan.
..... Even with the large drum adjusted all of the way up, it overflows the case. X-Terminator is a microfine ball powder. D
Looking for clarification of this statement "adjusted all the way up" . Are you talking about the powder adjusting screw or the drum's rotation?
Powder adjusting screw. Adjusted it as far up as it would go.
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by daboone »

Adjusting the screw up (out) increases the amount of powder to be delivered into the case. Screwing it in decreases the volume in the drum's chamber for smaller amounts. The adjustment key is handy for making the adjustments.
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
Uncle Chan

Post by Uncle Chan »

daboone wrote:Adjusting the screw up (out) increases the amount of powder to be delivered into the case. Screwing it in decreases the volume in the drum's chamber for smaller amounts. The adjustment key is handy for making the adjustments.
Yes, I'm aware. I use one for pistol and love it.

Ok, so this is a bit embarassing. I assumed that a 20+gr charge would require the large drum. I took the large drum out. Adjusted it so it is at its smallest volume, and at its smallest volume, it held 34gr of X-Term. Seems to me that the drum and powder measure worked as designed. The problem was with the operator. He's a bit special, me thinks.

Humble pie tastes so good.

Uncle Chan.
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: X-Terminator and Auto Drum (Solved)

Post by GasGuzzler »

What's better is you told us. I admit stuff so people know the hardware might be OK.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.

Return to “Automatic Powder Measures”