Auto-Disk Pro Erratic ~ Solved

Auto Disk, Pro Auto Disk, and Auto Drum Powder Measures along with their associated charge bar, disks, and drums.
Skinnedknuckles
My Press Choice: Turret

Auto-Disk Pro Erratic ~ Solved

Post by Skinnedknuckles »

I've recently started using TiteGroup for loading .45 ACP and I've had problems with erratic drops using the Auto-Disk Pro and the Adjustable Charge Bar. Since the load is only 4.4 gr, the opening in the ACB is quite small. I was getting such erratic results today I was ready to stop using TiteGroup and switch to HP-38. However, when I did some test drops with HP-38 the results were even worse!

Looking more closely at the powder measure, I saw that the wiper (AD3396) has a round hole for the powder to pass through, but it has two flats at the bottom of the hole. The flats are not the full length of the hole but just are molded "shelves" at the bottom. Looking down the hopper, one of the flats partially covers the hole in the ACB. I think that also there may sometimes be drag on the wiper from the movement of the ACB so the "shelf" covers even more of the hole and prevents the full charge of powder from entering the ACB.

I took a sharp X-Acto knife and cut away the shelf on the side of the hole where it was partially covering the ACB hole. I actually cut a slight chamfer as well to further encourage powder flow. I put it back together and the drops were very consistent. I also tried it again with HP-38 and it was even more consistent.

This is probably not an issue with larger drops, and maybe not with the round holes in the disks, but with the ACB I think this is a good modification to consider. And if it causes any problems down the road, the wipers only cost a buck or so.
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Auto-Disk Pro Erratic ~ Solved

Post by 62chevy »

Glad this worked for you as my Dad always said there are more ways than one to skin a cat. What I did is add card board to the front of the ACB until I got the results I wanted of 3.5 grains of TiteGroup. I find on average it varies less than 1 grain over 10 drops.
Je suis Charlie
jloader
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by jloader »

I would contact Lee directly - they may be aware of the issue and send you a replacement part(s) at no charge. They are really good about that.

Also, when I started using my Auto-Disk Pro, initially the loads were very inconsistent. Subposedly it has to do with the parts not being teflon coated and the grains tend to stick to the walls. It was certainly true in my case. After throwing about 100-150 loads, they became more consistent and you could no longer see any grains sticking to the walls of the disk openings.

As for the Adjustable Charge Bar - it has very mixed reviews. For small loads it is of no use - for me the range was 2 - 4 grains for the TiteGroup when I was aiming for about 3.2.

I've also noticed that I get most consistent load when the powder hopper is about half to 2/3 full. After filling it, I tap the hopper several times, throw about 30-50 "dummy" loads while tapping the hopper several times thru the process. After that, the loads are quite consistent.

Between Bullseye and TiteGroup I get most consistent small loads from Bullseye.
Skinnedknuckles

The Auto-Disk Pro has several hundred rounds through it, including a pound of PB and now a couple hundred rounds with TiteGroup. I think the shelf would cause problems with most powders at small charges. Thinking back, I had problems loading 700-X in .38 Special and got several squibs, but I'm not sure if I was using my older Auto-Disk or one of the Pro's. I've used the ACB for many thousand rounds, mostly with HP-38, and they are my favorite piece of Lee equipment (but I hated them when I first got them because until the graphite lubed them up they were not consistent).

I've got a spare wiper due in tomorrow, and I'll take a look at it. If it is still the same I may email them about my problem.

I've tried measuring charges with different levels in the hoppers and haven't found it to matter with the few powders I've used. I do find that with several powders there is a difference whether I just drop a charge or if I cycle the turret press through all stations before dropping the charge. There was even more of a difference loading .223 Rem using the turret and the new Auto-Drum with CFE-223. I'm guessing what's in the drop area has some settling and lets in just a little more powder.
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 62chevy »

http://www.lee-loader.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1392

This might help with the adjustable charge bar.
Je suis Charlie
Skinnedknuckles

Discovered the real problem. Either the nose of the Auto Disk Pro was too long, or the spacer tube in the riser was too long, but when I tightened the measure into the riser, the arm moved, moving the ACB hole partially out from under the hole in the measure. I ground off the spacer a bit (didn't want to mess with the measure parts) and it now doesn't move when I tighten it down. Drop consistency is now what it should be.
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

Thanks for posting the fix.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Poppop
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Poppop »

Skinnedknuckles wrote:The Auto-Disk Pro has several hundred rounds through it, including a pound of PB and now a couple hundred rounds with TiteGroup. I think the shelf would cause problems with most powders at small charges. Thinking back, I had problems loading 700-X in .38 Special and got several squibs, but I'm not sure if I was using my older Auto-Disk or one of the Pro's. I've used the ACB for many thousand rounds, mostly with HP-38, and they are my favorite piece of Lee equipment (but I hated them when I first got them because until the graphite lubed them up they were not consistent).

I've got a spare wiper due in tomorrow, and I'll take a look at it. If it is still the same I may email them about my problem.

I've tried measuring charges with different levels in the hoppers and haven't found it to matter with the few powders I've used. I do find that with several powders there is a difference whether I just drop a charge or if I cycle the turret press through all stations before dropping the charge. There was even more of a difference loading .223 Rem using the turret and the new Auto-Drum with CFE-223. I'm guessing what's in the drop area has some settling and lets in just a little more powder.
I too have had problems with 700-x with .38 spec loads. Had to measure manually until I used up the 14oz.
Have not gone back to it since but it is a great powder for .38 spec.
I also hand load for wad cutters, I may try 700-x again since I weigh each round anyway. +guns +guns
If all else fails--look for the obvious
MAGA
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

My brief experience with 700-X is it doesn't measure worth a darn in any powder measure. It may work okay in shotshell presses, but I never cold get it consistent across 4 difference measures - Perfect (bench), Disk (bench), Lyman 55 and rcbs Uniflow.Never had a need to try it on my 650.

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

That says a lot about the powder and less about the ADP.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.

Return to “Automatic Powder Measures”