Thirty caliber blues

Topics concerning individual handgun & rifle bullet designs, buckshot, and shotgun slugs.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: Thirty caliber blues

Post by Ranch Dog »

Maximumbob54 wrote:Well I'm cheating and going back to jacketed for a while. I would try heat treating these again but that's not something that can be done once they are loaded...
I sure understand. If something isn't working, make a change. I just shot a deer with factory ammo because all my lead bullets were shooting like crap. The bullets were all from the same alloy you are talking about with the same treatment.
  • 95/5 wheel weights/tin
  • A trace amount of #8 shot
  • water quenched
  • 19 to 21 BHN within a few days of being cast
  • three years or older
I truly don't think that a compound can go away or disapparate. I do think the water quenching is skin deep and might not stand the test of time. I pretty certain of this because I've taken a fresh 21 BHN bullet and file down the ogive flat about 1/8" on two sides and then test it again and it will sit at 14 BHN. (+/- a point).

I've got some oven treated bullets that were cast 10 years ago from the first mix and they are still 21 BHN! Those bullets were not the ones I needed for my hunt though. I haven't heated bullets in an oven since I was a widower and I don't think momma is gon'na like it now so I might have to buy an oven for my garage just to mess with this.
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Okay, I bought an oven. So as soon as it gets here I want to get busy on my TLC359-190-RF for my Rem 600. I have a trophy buck hunt coming up on Jan 6th and want to use that rifle and my Marlin 336D. Both are 35 Rems.
Michael
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by akuser47 »

Alright some fixes I sense are coming
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Another reason we stick with this and figure it out is that we don't want to depend on the whimsical supply chain. I actually keep a supply of 30 to 35 caliber jacketed hunting bullets on my shelf and I just looked and there is not a single source that I could refresh all of them. I use a single source to cut down on the shipping charge as bullets are heavy and costly to ship. I prefer to use Graf & Sons because of the $7.95 per order shipping.

I just ran through my list and almost all are not available or not enough available to justify an order.
Speer 30 Caliber:
  • 130-grain SPFN #2207
  • 150-grain SPFN #2011
  • 150-grain SPRN #2017
  • 170-grain FNSP #2041
  • 180-grain SPRN #2047
Speer 7.62x39:
  • 123-grain SP #2203
Speer 35 Caliber:
  • 180-grain SPFN #2435
Some of them I'm still good but I was just going to load some 150-grain SPRNs for my 300 Savage and I'm out. Also just a few of the 35 Rem bullet on the shelf, I wanted to try them in the Rem 600. I'd like to try this 180-grain bullet in the R92 as well!
Michael
beekeeper

Post by beekeeper »

RD check out bullets .com.
They have a pretty large supply of just about everything jacketed.

beekeeper
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by Maximumbob54 »

I would worry about it more but cases don't last forever either and must be purchased now and then. I haven't a clue what it would cost to buy everything in bulk to load everything. Nor do I even want to know where the bulk would hide. Gag, it was hard enough to move this last time. And that was after saying I'm not moving again any time soon. And now this mud of hard bullets turning soft again. I think my new policy for now at least is to only cast and load what I will be shooting within the year or less. And as finicky as rifle ammo is I doubt it will be much.

Return to “Bullets, Buckshot, & Slugs”