How has the ammo shortage affected your hobbies?

Topics not related to the forum categories.
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: How has the ammo shortage affected your hobbies?

Post by RBHarter »

My shooting hasn't really changed at all . I do lots of casting, some paper patch work, for about 2 yr you couldn't find a SP primer now its SR that's hard to find (how I hate to pay $10/K more for #41s) and LR is just about non-existant. I've gotten by using LP and SP magnum primers for the light cast loads in the rifles. I built a new little wildcat 2 yr ago and bought another last fall to go w/a new to me 222. Other life factors have cut into my shooting far more than than parts availablity.

BP caps have become very thin in my parts of late and powder is so scarce (there's no real BP w/in 200 miles) that I've made my own . I checked 12 stores across I-40 from Las Vegas to Elk City OK and the story is the same . We get what we've got showing and thats about all that we can get.

I did score 300 new 280 Rem Win brass and 400+ 1x 270 mixed for less than $100. I've also located some of my prefered rifle powder at ''regular'' prices. Its really about locating 5k SR primers and 5-7k LR and 5k #10 caps, I'm set for probably another 5-6 yr.
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by akuser47 »

The only component I am shocked to not find at decent prices is .357 mag. brass. 27 dollars per 100 mixed once fired nickle and brass cases. I know this is the best I have found in a while. I have a good pile of loaded I just need to get to the range and make my own cases. +guns
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by 62chevy »

When I bought my first gun last year 45 acp was there but in small numbers. 22LR was no where to be found but I didn't have one till the Wife decided she needed on then the hunt was on for 22s. 45 acp dried up and then the lee Loader came home with powder and primers. No bullets so bought the only mold I could and started casting, now I'm hooked. LOL
Je suis Charlie
Model 52
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Load-All

Post by Model 52 »

I've had to change a couple of loads due to unavailability of some powders and my bullets stocks got critical at one point (although that's eased for cast bullets).

The major change has been a big reduction in .22 Hornet shooting as .22 Hornet brass is very hard to find, and I'm criticality short on Unique, which will impact a couple of my cast bullet rifle loads.
larryw
Founding Member & Supporter

Post by larryw »

44-40 Willy wrote:Being on a fixed income, I wasn't that well stocked up. So, I've backed off on my shooting until things look up again.

+1 I sure do hear 'ya Willy!!! Other than that, it's just finding what I want or need
when I do have some spending cash.
A day late & A dollar short? Story of my life +guns
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 62chevy »

larryw wrote:
44-40 Willy wrote:Being on a fixed income, I wasn't that well stocked up. So, I've backed off on my shooting until things look up again.

+1 I sure do hear 'ya Willy!!! Other than that, it's just finding what I want or need
when I do have some spending cash.

I the feeling. Good for now but at the end of summer may not be, unless stuff comes in.
Je suis Charlie
Fyodor
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Fyodor »

It's fun to see how different things are they have the same cause.

Over here we just can't get the stuff, ammo, powder, primers, everything from the USA just isn't there. But if you actually get your hands on a small quantity of stuff, it's not that much more expensive than it already was before.

I ordered one kilo (for cans) of TrailBoss in December, and maybe I'll get it by the end of this month, but maybe it'll be July or September. But it will be about 32 dollars a can, just about two dollars more than last year.

Are things really that expensive over there?
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.
wscywabbit
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by wscywabbit »

Let's see, how has the ammo shortage affected your hobbies...

The ammo shortage got me reloading sooner than later! :lol:

I'd always planned on reloading "someday", well it seems that the lack of ammo on the shelves, and the raised prices on the stuff left on the shelves jump started my newest hobby. I can't say that I'm complaining much, other than the fact that powder is so dang hard to come by! Now most of the ammo is starting to show up on the shelves again, but the reloading components and the .22 LR sure aren't... :(
In God and guns we trust; it's an American tradition!
Fyodor

Post by Fyodor »

After the war, when there was a death penalty on gun ownership, my grand dad did exactly that... they had an old 22 rifle and reloaded that brass! They shoot rabbits, fox, and even small deer with it. It is possible, but because the home made priming stuff is very dangerous, you shouldn't do out of you don't have to.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Fyodor wrote:Are things really that expensive over there?
I don't think so unless you are forced to buy what you need. I really try to plan ahead and buy stuff at a mid-point of any Presidential term. Old hands at reloading suggested this timing to me twenty plus years ago as they noticed that demand was always higher in the election year. I have restocked all my primers this year as they became available (kind of hate to say how many) and they were actually a few pennies less per 1000 than I paid four years ago.
Michael

Return to “Topic Bucket”