How has the ammo shortage affected your hobbies?

Topics not related to the forum categories.
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

How has the ammo shortage affected your hobbies?

Post by akuser47 »

For me I am decently stocked in my main components and have an ok ammont of stockpiled rimfire ammo and factory ammo.
I reload alot and like bolt guns alot and revolvers and levers, because I don't have to chase down brass. I also like the ability to taylor my rounds like necksizeing my cases for my .308.
I am just curious how your shooting habits have changed has you fav. gun been benched because of the lack of ammo or cost of what is available. I know for my range trips usaully my markIII, savage93 BVTS .17HMR, my customized 10/22. Also been shooting clays by myself with my trius one step and my 12 gauge Gold Hunter.
Shotgun shells are selling, seems at least shotgun shells are on the shelves for the american public to buy
Last edited by akuser47 on 02 Jul 2013 13:11, edited 1 time in total.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: How has the ammo shortage affected your hobbies?

Post by Ranch Dog »

I keep a four year stock of components in storage, refreshing it annually, with the exception of the election year. Come November, if primers are not available, I will make plans accordingly as that means I'm down to a three year supply of certain components.

With the close of my mold business and ending my cast bullet design work, my shooting dropped a third this year. I was shooting about 15K worth a year and immediately dropped down to 10K rounds or so it seems at the halfway point here so that is some help.

I need to hire a bullet caster, that is a lot of bullets to cast, lube, and size every year!
Michael
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by joec »

I have a year to two for every thing I shoot however I don't shoot as much as I did over the last few years. I did add a new caliber but found new starline brass for it right away as I did bullets and primers. However I had one of the powders on hand that I would start with but wanted to try a couple others also. Now that was somewhat of a problem until recently. Someone gave me a tip where to find what I needed and was shocked by how well they are supplied and are selling it for standard prices not at jacked up rates too. The only thing I didn't see was bullets however I've not had a problem getting them even now.
Joe
Pb2au

Post by Pb2au »

Not too much. Like everyone else I had a decent supply on hand, except for powder. I was a little shy on one of my powders. But other than that I just carried on.
Be prepared!
44-40 Willy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 44-40 Willy »

Being on a fixed income, I wasn't that well stocked up. So, I've backed off on my shooting until things look up again.
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Maximumbob54 »

I've never stocked up much on ammo or components before this year. But then I've never seen a shortage like this last this long either. As everything becomes more available I'm going to be stocking up for sure this time.
357cyrus
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 357cyrus »

My shooting time has gone down quite a bit, but due more to having a toddler now! Very little time for hobbies, and that time is spent among a few different hobbies. Got enough ammo to prolly make it through 2-3 PRE-child years. So I'm content.
*** Peace Through Superior Firepower ***
Missionary
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Missionary »

Good morning
Always keep years worth in stock. Of course we are only up north there a few months here and there so it is not real hard. Cast my own so never out of launching material.
But when prices are low my hunting pard lets me know when an order is getting ready and I jump on with at least 5000 of each primers and whatever 8 pound jugs are on my replenish list.
Here in Peru ammo is generally available.. but about double what you may see normally. 44 WCF is selling for $2.45 a cartrge. 38 Special is .85 cents a cartrige. There are no magnum cartriges.
I am always looking for old opened boxes of shotgun shells to get powder. The shot may get melted. The primers stay in the hulls and get reloaded with 3F (not hard to find generally) when I need some 12 guage ammo. Small primers I get from Mil Surp 9mm that army officers sell. Same with 308... large primers. May have to cut primers pockets that shade deeper but ya do what ya have to do to keep the 44 WCF talking.
Still trying to figure out how to safely grind 308 propelant into powder to see if that will burn faster being usable in 38 Special and 44 WCF.
Mike in Peru
Steelbanger
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by Steelbanger »

Hasn't affected me in the least as I have been preparing for a situation like this for quite some time. Yesterday I was at the range and had it to myself for about 3 hours. A rarity at my range and it may be due to lack of components by some of the regulars.

I will not be sharing any of my stash, either for cash or later reimbursement. Only folks that are in high clover and don't even know it are family members.
Fullthrottle
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Fullthrottle »

No real change in shooting for me either. I have been through panics before and I will not be in a shortage situation again. Close to 6 years ago I started reloading and stocking up so as to avoid the panic.

Return to “Topic Bucket”