Burn Baby Burn!

Whether plinking or chasing big game, tell us about your day outdoors!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Burn Baby Burn!

Post by Ranch Dog »

Prescribed pasture burn today! Part of a bobwhite quail habitat restoration project that I'm working on.

Michael
number1wrench
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: Burn Baby Burn!

Post by number1wrench »

You have green on trees, you must not be in the severe drought area? Great to see someone putting back into the resource, every bit helps. Congratulations.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

number1wrench wrote:You have green on trees, you must not be in the severe drought area? Great to see someone putting back into the resource, every bit helps. Congratulations.
We had a "normal" amount of rain in December and January but the temperatures have been unseasonably warm so the bit of green up. Because of the green growth in the ground cover, the burn was only about 60% effective. First time in 4 years, because of the drought, that I could burn.
Michael
oscarflytyer
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by oscarflytyer »

Michael

hope your Quail restoration project is greatly successful! When I was a LOT younger, never really thought about hunting quail and they were everywhere... Fast fwd 30+ yrs and can't remember last time I ran into a covey. Really sucks. And I am in the South/AL - where there are supposed to be quail!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

oscarflytyer wrote:hope your Quail restoration project is greatly successful! When I was a LOT younger, never really thought about hunting quail and they were everywhere... Fast fwd 30+ yrs and can't remember last time I ran into a covey. Really sucks. And I am in the South/AL - where there are supposed to be quail!
It will take years to see this through. The main culprit hindering quail in South Texas land fragmentation; large blocks of native pasture being split up. The second reason for the loss is native species of grass being replaced by "improved" grasses. The bottom line here where the Post Oak Savannah meets the South Texas Plains is that if you don't have at least 500 acres of true habitat, you will never hunt bobwhite quail again no matter what you do. If you like being around them, the best you can hope for is maintaining a habitat that they like. The are definitely a very fragile bird.

They are a good species to target for help because if you are doing all you can for them the turkey, deer, and just about everything else benefits as the quail causes you to pay quite a bit of attention to the habitat you are managing.
Michael

Return to “Field/Hunting Stories”