Good shots from overseas

Tell us a bit about yourself!
motard
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Good shots from overseas

Post by motard »

Hai All, I am into reloading only from a few months, and have more question than knowledge to share with You. Sorry :)
During this time I did setup my reloading bench with two Lee's Single Stage presses (a brand new Breech Lock Classic Cast and a second hand, but mint, older style CC, dies socket threaded) a Fortser Powder Measure for rifles and a Lee PM for handgun, a vintage but extremely accurate Pacific-Hornady scale, plus some other stuff. Now everything seems working well and I am able to feed my Xbolt 308 Stalker rifle, my 1943 Carl Gustaf Husquarna, and a Stock 2 Tanfoglio. I usualliy also shot a 223CZ rifle but S&B bullets are still cheap enaught to do not make the whole reloading process worth.
I have a lot of questins as said (not many first hands info here in Italy).
But the main is about the differencies between the two presse's rams.
I did hope to be able to swap dies (with hornady locking ring) betwen the two but soon I realized that else if the two rams are equally tall, the gap from the ends of the die socket and the shell holders are different. There is any way to compensate?
Second: the BL Ram is one solid piece. The old style CC is in two pieces. I dont know whay the Lee (wich I greatly appreciate) did change the drawing but i know that this lead to the fact that the old stile press can reload also very long cartriges, 50Bmg ie, whilst the new BL cannot. But as per every pic I have seen on web the BL got the primer arms slot (sort of a vertical cut) on the right hand while in the older style presses it appears to be on the left. I unsrewed and cleaned my insert but when I seated it (fully screwed in) the slot was on the right and it could rotate a quarter more, becoming useless. Mae this affect the stiffness and reliability of the ram? I realize is a long post. Thanks for Your' patience. :) Smiley
Ps here you can see my stuff. Rather tidy becasue since e few day's ago I was reloading on a portable bench, just to understand better where to place various items

http://s1278.photobucket.com/user/stelu ... how/reload

good shots
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Re: Good shots from overseas

Post by akuser47 »

Welcome, I cannot help on the difference in presses. I can however say hello and that I'm glad you are here. We have some very knowledgeable people here on the forum I'm sure someone can help. keep us posted +corn
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by daboone »

Ciao, Aloha and Hello! I'm glad you signed in to this very knowledgeable site. :D There are other Europeans gathered here and I'm sure they will interested in suggesting more local support!
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

I can't help much with the different presses either except to say that even the old RockChuckers on my bench are slightly different also,1 in a full die turn taller than the other.

That Carl Gustav is said to be a fine rifle on this side of the pond .

Welcome to the forum.
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by 62chevy »

Hey from West Virginia !!!
Je suis Charlie
number1wrench

Post by number1wrench »

motard wrote:Hai All, I am into reloading only from a few months, and have more question than knowledge to share with You. Sorry :)
During this time I did setup my reloading bench with two Lee's Single Stage presses (a brand new Breech Lock Classic Cast and a second hand, but mint, older style CC, dies socket threaded) a Fortser Powder Measure for rifles and a Lee PM for handgun, a vintage but extremely accurate Pacific-Hornady scale, plus some other stuff. Now everything seems working well and I am able to feed my Xbolt 308 Stalker rifle, my 1943 Carl Gustaf Husquarna, and a Stock 2 Tanfoglio. I usualliy also shot a 223CZ rifle but S&B bullets are still cheap enaught to do not make the whole reloading process worth.
I have a lot of questins as said (not many first hands info here in Italy).

But the main is about the differencies between the two presse's rams.
I did hope to be able to swap dies (with hornady locking ring) betwen the two but soon I realized that else if the two rams are equally tall, the gap from the ends of the die socket and the shell holders are different. There is any way to compensate?
Welcome to the sight. I am going to take a stab at this portion of your question. If you were wanting to use the same dies in interchangeable Breechlock or Loc n Load bushing I know of no way to accomplish this without having to change die adjustment between the two presses. Perhaps Ranch Dog can offer suggestion? I hope I interpreted your question correctly. At the least you can produce ammo but maybe slower than you had hoped.
motard

Post by motard »

hi RbHarter. yes the CG is vry well made beeing a WW2 gun. it is also a fine shooter partially due to the caliber wich has no or few recoil but excepionnaly flat fly. terribly effective too.
thanks for yours inputt n1wrench, i did choose the hornady lockrings on starting reload because i was not so convinced about the Lee LR but now i must say that they works as well. obviuously this is only for the dies i did not fit with he lee lockable buscing
Fyodor
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Fyodor »

Herzlich willkommen from Germany! Nice to see a "neighbor" ;)

All manufacturing processes have some tolerance. But because some steps in reloading need high precision below a tenth of a millimeter, like bullet seating and crimping, you can't swap dies between presses without adjusting. Lee dies are so affordable, I bought a set for every press I own, so I ended up having three sets in .38spl... four, if you count in the speed die. One set is unused, one is mounted on a turret for my pro1000, the third is adjusted for my Lee hand press.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.
motard

Post by motard »

Fyodor, that's the way you are right.
Mit freunlichen, from neighbor :)

Return to “Member Introductions”