Neck turning brass

Topics not related to the forum categories.
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
beekeeper

Neck turning brass

Post by beekeeper »

Anyone do it?
Anyone neck ream?
Which is better?
Reading the posts about it on the internet will give you ulcers trying to figure out what someone is saying.
Some turn and some ream and both say their way is best.

Reason for asking!

I am getting ready to aquire a 6.5 Creedmoor rifle.
Brass is almost unobtanium right now so thought to make my own using LC LR 308 brass
Have a good supply of said brass.
Made a couple to get the idea as to how difficult it was and only problem I see is the specs for the brass say it has a neck thickness of .290 and with the LC brass I have a neck thickness of .298.

No biggy if I turn the necks but have never done it and do not have a neck turning tool.
Before buying one want to find out which is better (best).

Not sure it is even a problem as the only thing I see the extra thickness doing is increasing the pressure and that can be compensated for by lowering the powder charge.

Any help appreciated!

Beekeeper
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: Neck turning brass

Post by RBHarter »

If it happens to be a match chamber the extra neck thickness can result in over pressures due to not being able to expand enough to release the bullet. Also when the neck goes down for a 309-11 I'd to 262 that neck will get thicker also.
I think Redding will be the cream of the cream. I don't know of a Lee tool but RCBS and Lyman make cost effective tools for the job.
The generalities of my reading would suggest that a tool that turns the outside is more accurate because a reamer will follow whatever direction the neck goes possibly resulting in a neck thin at the mouth and shoulders on opposite sides.
Sinclair in particular makes a tool that pilots inside an cuts outside to ensure a square neck.
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by 62chevy »

Just subbing to see what others have to say.
Je suis Charlie
oscarflytyer

Post by oscarflytyer »

Bee

Never had to resort to neck turning...

However, Ironic - just did some research on the 6.5 Creedmoor - in a Ruger American. And where to get brass. The Hornady brass is expensive, somewhat. I found that you could use 22-250 brass, fire formed, but might have to do some tweaking to it.

However, I also read that others were fire-forming 250 Savage brass to 6.5 Creedmoor in a single process and no neck turning, trimming, etc. Sounds like a simple basic one shot fire forming process.

Maybe sell/trade some of the 308 brass for 250 Sav... Good luck.
beekeeper

Post by beekeeper »

Isn't it weird, I am trying to make brass for I gun I do not even own yet.
Now that is an addict!!
Got to thinking about it last night and had to laugh at myself.
I am doing exactly what I laugh at others at the range for doing.

beekeeper
Fyodor
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Fyodor »

Hihi... I did something similar recently. I bought one thousand rounds of 44/40, because they were cheap. But I don't have a gun yet, and probably won't buy one this year, if at all, because I'd prefer a 38/40 ...
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.
beekeeper

Post by beekeeper »

After talking to my shooting partner who is a long range precision shooter I ordered the K&M neck turner.
Watched a couple of you-tube videos on it and the others and decided it was the best one out there.

Will update this when I get it and use it.

beekeeper
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

I got into neck turning years ago when a working with very heavy bullets and the 444 Marlin. The K&M fellow made me a bunch of custom cutters to work with a number of levergun cartridges. They worked but I haven't shot the heavy stuff in a decade.

This was using 400-grain plus bullets in the 444 Marlin. If you don't modify the carrier, you must turn down the case walls pretty deep to accept the extra the lead and my custom K&M tools did the trick.

Good choice in tools!
Michael
beekeeper

Post by beekeeper »

Well I got the neck turner in the mail yesterday and after ruining a few test cases got it down to 1/2 thousandth of exact neck size.

Unit works great and makes short work of trimming necks.
If you are in a hurry it isn't the way to go as it takes a lot of concentration and time to do very many.
As I have the time I do not mind doing the cases as it gives me a lot of satisfaction to be able to say I made the cases and with my wifes health it gives me one more way to vent my frustrations.

beekeeper
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by akuser47 »

Glad it's working for you. Now a range test on the newly turned rounds. Keep us posted
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!

Return to “Topic Bucket”