Using Loadmaster/Pro1000 wich different tools

The Pro 1000, 4000, and the Six-Pack Pro presses. We also include the "Legacy" progressive presses; the Load-Master, Auto Breech Lock Pro
JohnH
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Using Loadmaster/Pro1000 wich different tools

Post by JohnH »

Well, that's basically my question. I have all the dies I need, I plan on priming off the press. I have the RCBS Lil Dandy powder measure and the rotors I need for the powders I use for pistol. Pistol is all I plan on using a progressive for. Also which of the two is more user friendly for change overs, I will be loading 45 ACP, 45 Colt, 44 Special and 44 Magnum. I figure on setting up a tool head for each cartridge and moving the powder measure from head to head as I change cartridges. I've no idea how well this will work, I'm sure that priming on the press would be the faster/ better method, but I've read lots of folks have trouble with the priming systems. Years ago I used a Lee priming tool that mounted on a single stage press, but they no longer make this product. I never had trouble with that system, (looked a lot like that on the 1000 without the pull chain attachment) anyway, what say you?
Fyodor
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: Using Loadmaster/Pro1000 wich different tools

Post by Fyodor »

I use a pro1000 and for handgun loads that's all I need. The extra station on the LoadMaster is not necessary for handgun rounds, and the extra sturdiness isn't also.

Whatever press you use, if you don't prime on press, remove the priming pin and on the LoadMaster the lever. But don't remove the primer chute, the cases might tilt and jam the process.

Changing caliber should be easy on both presses. Swapping turrets is a matter of second (don't forget to unhook the powder measure, and always turn clockwise). On the pro1000 changing shellplate our while carrier also is done very quick. On the LoadMaster I can't tell, never used it.

I would consider buying a powder measure (proAutoDisk works great and is very affordable) for every turret you use. Swapping and readjusting measures would consume most of the transition time.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.
Steve
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: Using Loadmaster/Pro1000 wich different tools

Post by Steve »

Fyodor wrote:Whatever press you use, if you don't prime on press, remove the priming pin and on the LoadMaster the lever. But don't remove the primer chute, the cases might tilt and jam the process.
I do not have the primer chutes in my Loadmasters. Never found a problem associated with the chute not being installed.

Return to “Progressive”