New To 223

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your long gun.
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: New To 223

Post by 62chevy »

I use Lime-Shine and Dawn and very hot water to clean my brass and then tumble. They look like brand new brass.
Je suis Charlie
6Gears1Speed
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by 6Gears1Speed »

Yup. I used Dawn. I was mostly impressed that it got the STP off which was my main concern. I read the back of the STP bottle and is said to get it off your hands use water and dish soap.

Oops, It was Joy. :lol:
6Gears1Speed

Post by 6Gears1Speed »

My 223 bullets have a ribbed cannelure that's about .045 wide. At what point in the cannelure do I crimp the case? I have a bunch of mixed factory 223 and they vary. Some have a bit of cannelure showing and some don't. If I had to guess I'd crimp near the top so that you just barely see the ribs. The batch of cases I'm working with are just a touch shorter than spec and if I crimp at the top of the cannelure I get 2.210 give or take .001or so which is just above the minimum OAL. I got these cases from someone who had already prepped them. If it were only a few I'd dump them but I don't want to dump 525 LC cases unless I really have to.

So is there a rule to this or not? I didn't see it it my book.
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by akuser47 »

It is only dictated by the coal needed for said bullet. If you have a chamber cast and have your exact chamber, throat measurements. You can then adjust to a specific coal for that rifle. The only rules on this is simple. Does it chamber into said gun. Does it perform well in said gun. Without over pressure signs.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
6Gears1Speed

Post by 6Gears1Speed »

I picked up some Varget to compare with some other powders I found for 223 Rem and I have a question...

Starting grains in the Lee book is 25.5 for my 55 Gr. fmj bullet. I bought the double disk assembly for the Pro Autodisk and I have it dropping 25.6 give or take .1 . With the other powders, AR-Comp and IMR 4320, the powder went up to the top of the taper of the bottleneck. With the Varget it fills it even more to the point where the case is almost full. When I stuff the bullet it will actually push down the powder. Does this sound about right for Varget?
number1wrench

Post by number1wrench »

Using Hodgdon powder Varget data 55gr from online Hodgdon data website they show max load regardless of 55 gr bullet type(they show three one being soft point) as being a compressed load. I have no experience with Varget or any other powder using compressed load data, IMHO I would work up to compressed unless you already have some experience with compressed load data. Just my $.02
6Gears1Speed

Post by 6Gears1Speed »

The Lee book indicates 25.5 grains/1.86 volume cc as the starting grains and there's no 'c' so it shouldn't be compressed. It indicates never exceed 27.5c which I assume is compressed. I have to use the double disk kit to get to 25.5. If I go lower than the starting grains won't it affect performance in a big way? Plus, if I wanted to go higher than starting grains I'll pretty much over fill the case so I don't know how I would even do a compressed load. Do you manually have to pour the powder and pack it down before seating?

The first two batches of 10 rounds each with AR-Comp and IMR 4320 didn't require compressing and I could add a bit more if I had to without compressing.
number1wrench

Post by number1wrench »

6Gears1Speed wrote:The Lee book indicates 25.5 grains/1.86 volume cc as the starting grains and there's no 'c' so it shouldn't be compressed. It indicates never exceed 27.5c which I assume is compressed. I have to use the double disk kit to get to 25.5. If I go lower than the starting grains won't it affect performance in a big way? Plus, if I wanted to go higher than starting grains I'll pretty much over fill the case so I don't know how I would even do a compressed load. Do you manually have to pour the powder and pack it down before seating?
The first two batches of 10 rounds each with AR-Comp and IMR 4320 didn't require compressing and I could add a bit more if I had to without compressing.
I agree with below listed specs, a decrease of 2% would be 25.0 grains and Hodgdon lists 25.0 grains for a start load for a 60 gr bullet, can't give you source off top of my head but I have read using next heavier bullet data is a safe start load. I believe that next heavier bullet statement is in a cast load reference book, possibly even Lee's manual. Maybe someone with compressed load experience would chime in.
6Gears1Speed

Post by 6Gears1Speed »

Do you guys use the case feeder for 223 or hand feed? I set up the small rifle case feeder but at best it works maybe 50% of the time. The plastic feeder is short so it only pushes the lower half of the case and the next case in line is sitting on top of the one being fed so it topples over. Is there a trick to this or does it just not work?
6Gears1Speed

Post by 6Gears1Speed »

Regarding the question just above this post how do I prevent the cases from toppling over as the feeder pushes it from below the tube? The top of the case being fed gets hung up on the case above it so it topples. It gets better once there are fewer cases in the tube due to less weight so I've been filling the tubes 2/3 of the way. If there a trick to this?

Return to “Rifle Reloading”