PID Control

Tools that represent the "odds and ends" of bullet casting.
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

PID Control

Post by daboone »

I see a lot of interest over on Boolits for these PID temperature controllers. So do any of you have/use one? I'm interested in your thoughts about the usefulness of this accessory. The reason I'm considering it is my Lee pot's thermostat is now either on or off. I probably will just replace it but why not find out of there is an advantage to replacing a $16.00 part with an intelligent $140.00 one? :? :roll: :?: :?:
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: PID Control

Post by 62chevy »

Read those post with interest on CB but I don't cast enough to warrant the cost. It's kinda like powder coating and all the equipment that goes with it. 45/45/10 gives me good results at slower speed and it's only 20 bucks(?) a quart plus it will last many thousands of boolits not just a couple.
Je suis Charlie
larryw
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by larryw »

I am for sure gonna get one Dan, I started talking with OB over there (OBIII) just because
I am very familiar with the area he lives in, Anyway, with this little 10# pot of mine
the temp change happens very fast & I would rather have my melt stay at or VERY
near the same all the way through the pot. I have also cut a very small groove in the bottom
of my lube sizer for the small coated wire thermocouple that came with my multi-meter
so I don't have to guess, a possibly avoid a mess. & I like a bit more
precession than "Maybe or I think.. ??? Just my .02?
A day late & A dollar short? Story of my life +guns
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

I guess I'm getting set in my ways and I'm good to go with the way my Pro 4-20 and a thermometer perform. I actually have two pots, one in use and one as a spare. The spare started as my original but I guess I wore it out, bought the parts I needed and it is back good to go for a few bucks.

I don't cast for hours on end. I usually take one design per day and cast as many bullets as I need for the year. Some, like my 9mm Luger might go for three days in a row. This allows me to get caught up with the lubing some time in the afternoon.
Michael

Return to “Accessories and Other Tools”