Special bullet for 223

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your long gun.
Fyodor
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Special bullet for 223

Post by Fyodor »

Hi guys,

A friend of mine is searching a special bullet for his 223 rifle.

It is a very short self loading rifle, that he wants to use on short range hunting. Accuracy is not that important, because it will be really short distance.

The bullet should be as heavy as possible, therefore he is searching for a round nose bullet. Because of the gas port am all lead bullet is not an option, but it doesn't matter of it is full jacket, exposed to our hollow point.

Anybody got an idea?
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.
Chickenthief
My Press Choice: Lee Loader

Re: Special bullet for 223

Post by Chickenthief »

Fyodor wrote:Hi guys,

A friend of mine is searching a special bullet for his 223 rifle.

It is a very short self loading rifle, that he wants to use on short range hunting. Accuracy is not that important, because it will be really short distance.

The bullet should be as heavy as possible, therefore he is searching for a round nose bullet. Because of the gas port am all lead bullet is not an option, but it doesn't matter of it is full jacket, exposed to our hollow point.

Anybody got an idea?
Is that based on experience or internet BS?
Many good folks here would disagree!
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by RBHarter »

Me too I shoot 200 or more plain based naked cast in an s ks then probably over 300 paper patched before it began to bog down . NOE makes 70 gr moulds , Hornady I think has a less expensive sp of 62 and 70 gr . It takes a faster twist to stabilize the heavies. I think for 223 70 gr recommends a 1-9 or faster (1 turn in 135mm (?)) The cast gas check might go in a 1-10 (1-161mm ) at 70gr due to its shorter length. The 223 with a 55 gr should be able to keep 1000 ftlb (I'm not even going try Newton meters) at 100 meters. 1 of the bonded or partial type or all copper bullets should work well for even Red Stag . A hollow or open point would not be a first choice on anything over 50 lbs . Also based on book numbers 55s are as good as it gets in the 223 as far as starting and carried energy the heavier bullets loose at the start and only catch up way way out there .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
Steve

Post by Steve »

I have some 32 cal jacketed Hornady pistol bullets a friend of mine pushed through a .308 die for lubing cast rifle bullets. This gave me some hundred grain jacketed HP for my 30-06. I don't know what velocity they shoot at, it's just a full case of 4831 compressed with that little bullet is fun to shoot and fouls the barrel in a hurry. I just tell people they are going about a million miles an hour.

So maybe your friend could swag a desirable 6mm bullet down for use in his 223.
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by akuser47 »

Look for surplus bullets in 55 grain. Great deals can be found on pulled m193, and steel core m855. Hard to beat the prices. The 55 m193 may be all you need.
Like wiedners and rvow.com. just Google surplus pulled 5.56 .
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Fyodor

Post by Fyodor »

@akuser47:
That would be a great option I guess, but unfortunately we can't get pulled bullets from military ammo in Europe.

With the leading, it was his own experience, he usually casts his own bullets, and tried with that rifle, too.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by akuser47 »

Fyodor wrote:@akuser47:
That would be a great option I guess, but unfortunately we can't get pulled bullets from military ammo in Europe.

With the leading, it was his own experience, he usually casts his own bullets, and tried with that rifle, too.
I always forget this sorry about that.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Fyodor

Post by Fyodor »

No problem, that happens ;)

As I've heard, he found something he'll test soon. He's going to try if he can load a 90gr Sierra MatchKing from the mag. Another 100gr bullet by Remington was too heavy, and would create excess pressure.

357cyrus
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by 357cyrus »

In my mind heavy as you can get in a 223 is target bullet that will not have good qualities for a hunting bullet intended for anything larger than coyote. If your talking about deer 65gr Sierra Gamekings would be a good choice. I've got a box I haven't got around to loading yet. It says right on the box "1-9 twist or faster." Nosler makes a 60gr partition, and Barnes makes something. For all the reading I've done.... Any of those 3 are purpose built for deer within a reasonable range.
*** Peace Through Superior Firepower ***
Fyodor

Post by Fyodor »

I realized today he wanted that load for his hunting rifle, but this load wasn't meant for actual hunting. He wants it for "shooting cinema" (don't know an English word for that... An indoor shooting range with a theater instead of targets, where you actually shoot at a movie scene of deer ringing through a forest or such), and for some radon he wants it to be as powerful as possible. He couldn't explain why he needed it in a way I understood, but he sometimes has such attached ideas.

Return to “Rifle Reloading”