New Rifle.... What to get???

Topics not related to the forum categories.
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
357cyrus
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

New Rifle.... What to get???

Post by 357cyrus »

So this year was the first deer season in Ohio that we were allowed to use straight walled cartridges in a rifle. Where I hunt I've got two different fields that are roughly 250 yards square. I'd love to be able set a stand up on the edge of one of those fields and shoot to the other side with enough accuracy and authority to drop bigger deer (I'd say 200 lbs is an AVERAGE LIVE weight for a mature buck for this area)
As I understand it, we are currently limited to this list of cartridges: .357 Magnum, .357 Maximum, .38 Special, .375 Super Magnum, .375 Winchester, .38-55, .41 Long Colt, .41 Magnum, .44 Special, .44 Magnum, .444 Marlin, .45 ACP, .45 Colt, .45 Long Colt, .45 Winchester Magnum, .45 Smith & Wesson, .454 Casull, .460 Smith & Wesson, .45-70, .45-90, .45-110, .475 Linebaugh, .50-70, .50-90, .50-100, .50-110 and .500 Smith & Wesson.
Right now I'm leaning towards a single shot H&R Handi rifle in 444 MARLIN. I like the 375 Winchester and 357 Maximum as well, but it seems if I wanted something new I'd have to get something and have it rechambered. I have no idea what the possibilities are as far as rechambering. It also seems like I can find H&R combo deals that come with a 444 and a 35Rem barrel for about $250.
*** Peace Through Superior Firepower ***
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: New Rifle.... What to get???

Post by Ranch Dog »

444 Marlin or 45-70 Govt. I've killed whitetails, desert mule deer, and pronghorns out to that distance with both of those cartridges. In that I know you are a Rossi guy, why not consider the Rio Grande 45-70 Govt with a good cast bullet. That 454 Casull in a Rossi 92 Scout would do it as well.

I had a H&R 444 Marlin and it was a good rifle. It was before H&R offered them as a cataloged item. Gander Mountain had a run of 500 built and it was one of them. I just never like the trigger on the H&Rs and didn't like working on the triggers.

The key to the shooting is a solid stand site with range markers and plenty of preseason shooting.
Michael
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 62chevy »

I like the idea of a 45 70 too but in the end it's up to you.
Je suis Charlie
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by RBHarter »

I'd go with the 460,the 375/38-55 are plenty for what you're saying, I think you'd be stretching with the 38/357 mag/max.

Here's why I'd go with the 460. 1st you have the option of 45 cowboy, Schofield, Colts, Casaull and 460. You can also treat it as a 45-60 and when the buck a pop 460 brass lefts go you can trim it back to the others. There is also the cheap factor from the loading bench. You can load cheap fmj 230s to practice or cast any number of weights or shapes . An ACP length case with a round ball would be a nice quiet squirrel or rabbit thumper too.

The 375/38-55 only suffers from a lack of bullet choices. I put these together because they represent the resurrection in smokeless of a BP cartridge.
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
357cyrus
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 357cyrus »

Ranch Dog wrote: why not consider the Rio Grande 45-70 Govt
Well, I forgot to mention.... Our Governor just signed into law (actually passed by our Legislature!) legislation that will allow us to hunt with suppressors starting in 90 days or so. So Im also interested in possibly having the muzzle threaded to accept a suppressor. I think the barrel band and front sight would be headaches avoided with a single shot rifle meant for a scope.
357cyrus
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 357cyrus »

RBHarter wrote:The 375/38-55 only suffers from a lack of bullet choices.
If I went with a single shot though, I could use anything intended for the 375H&H and such... bullets like the 260 Nosler Accubond, or 250 Sierra Gameking. Id be more concerned with finding brass for those two cartidges.
357cyrus
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 357cyrus »

Ranch Dog wrote:That 454 Casull in a Rossi 92 Scout would do it as well.
On a side note, the ghost ring setup I currently have on my Rossi 92 in 480 Ruger just isn't what I though it would be for a hunting rifle. I've been kicking around the idea of doing the scout setup you've done with yours. What did you end up doing to attach a base and rings?
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

357cyrus wrote:
Ranch Dog wrote:That 454 Casull in a Rossi 92 Scout would do it as well.
On a side note, the ghost ring setup I currently have on my Rossi 92 in 480 Ruger just isn't what I though it would be for a hunting rifle. I've been kicking around the idea of doing the scout setup you've done with yours. What did you end up doing to attach a base and rings?
Custom base With Burris Zee Signature rings. The work cost as much as a base R92 so I would not recommend this option.
Michael
357cyrus
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 357cyrus »

Was it the 480 specifically that was the problem or the base and rings? If I remember correctly, you had an easier go with the 454?
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

357cyrus wrote:Was it the 480 specifically that was the problem or the base and rings? If I remember correctly, you had an easier go with the 454?
The 454 Casull has a factory drilled and taped barrel which accepts the R92 scout mount. So for $15 or so you can install the Weaver type base. From there it is simply your choice of scout scope and rings. The 480 Ruger uses a different barrel that the other models, a barrel with little taper. So the 480 needs to be totally engineered from the ground up which I would not recommend.

The lever loop on the R92 is very small and I had a terrible time with busted knuckles from max loads. I had the Man Works make a larger lever from the exiting lever that solved the problems. You might need a cheek piece, in that this rifle will knock your molars loose with the slight loss of cheek contact with the flat comb of the R92 stock. I would recommend the Got'ta Grip as a choice.

Here is my 454 Casull, this image does not have the larger lever and the Rossi Cheek Piece.

Here is the new lever, also the saddle ring that added!

Michael

Return to “Topic Bucket”