House Bill 195

Topics not related to the forum categories.
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Re: House Bill 195

Post by mr surveyor »

Clarification on my previous post .... I said violation of section 30.06 was a "state felony" ..... no, it's a Class "A" Misdemeanor (basically one step down) on it's own .... still loss of license for the long haul.

Sorry for the mis-statement. I haven't been thinking too well lately.

jd
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's just some things best left unsaid on the internetsuperhighway.
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by akuser47 »

A class a misdemeanor on a weapons charge would still ruin my life.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Patriot007
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Patriot007 »

Ranch Dog wrote:There is not much to getting a concealed carry permit in Texas for the normal guy or gal. Background check, 4 hours of classroom and minimum range time. $140 for the first time permit and $70 renewal. After the initial license, there are two four year renewals and then it is good for ten years (I think that is right but just renew mine before it expires). There are discounts for military, veterans, seniors, etc. Most places charge around $100 for the first time class and range, a lot of gun clubs do it as part of the membership or for minimal fees. No classroom or shooting for renewals.

If you don't want to the permit you are allowed to have a handgun in your home and vehicle and move it between. A handgun can be used for recreational shooting and hunting and can be transported from home and back without issue.

Right now the open carry folks are pretty noisy but that is typical for any group that wants something. It does cause outsiders to look at Texas and say that it is not hand gun friend, because we do not allow open carry, but that perception is wrong. Texas, at least my part of Texas, is soaked in a gun friendly culture. Everyone has them.

If open carry passes I personally think it will restrict some of our freedoms that we enjoy right now because the business community will respond by exercising their property rights through the proper signage to restrict ANY carry. Might not be a big deal here but it will be a big deal in our metropolitan areas.

Personally, I won't open carry. Not against it but I know it makes you a target based on that primitive impulse I experience when I see someone "printing" with conceal carry. I would rather not raise the focus on myself one way or the other.

Here is a link that is a good reference to the Texas stuff, any State for that matter by going to the root of the link: http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/texas.pdf
Thanks Ranch Dog, and everybody else responding to my post on this matter. My group over here Ga.
are interested in the out come because some feel they shouldn't have to pay for writes that's granted to them in the Bill Of Writes and that every body should have access to them and carry every where they go. Well my fillings about that, are some what mixed because, some idiots should not have access to guns, period. I feel that way from things I seen in life involving guns and people that should of never had a gun in their hand to start with. So I'm glad we have a system in place that kind 'a weeds some of them out. Just my feelings about that in general. Also Fl. has a bill also coming up on Constitutional Carry, and we are looking into what happens there also. Ga. feels that if it gets passed in Texas, and in Fl. that we are one step closer to getting it the books and up for a vote here. That could be years down the road here. I'd just like to know off hand how you guys felt about it. Also if I'm carrying, it will be concealed, I don't what to have a target painted on me either. Thanks for the reply. :D
Patriot007

Post by Patriot007 »

mr surveyor wrote:I would add that the majority of us Texans that do carry on a 24/7, or at least very frequent basis, are very familiar with our current laws, which are actually much better than what they might appear to be to "outsiders". We also understand the ramifications of "open carry", and what it will do to severely limit our current concealed carry freedoms. My personal belief is that if you're not a resident of Texas, you really don't have a dog in the hunt .... so why stir the pot for those of us that do. We were close to having (college) campus carry passed in the last legislative session, as well as a few other changes in the current carry laws, but all of the "in your face" tactics of the open carry crowd have put a damper on getting much through the legislature in the coming session. And, since the in your face demonstrations (i.e., "legally" openly carrying long guns into cafes, big box stores and other locations filled with "non gun" folks), more of the restrictive signs are going up that apply specifically to prohibition of licensed concealed carry.

That's all I have to say.

jd
Thanks for the reply, I fully under stand where your coming from, a few can mess thing up for every one
Patriot007

Post by Patriot007 »

:D
mr surveyor wrote:If I remember correctly, we have reciprocity with 28 states for licensed concealed carry. For those that have a license that meets the reciprocal agreements, the only location I can think of that you wouldn't have the same carry rights in Texas are the Federal Gun Free School Zones .... but if I'm not mistaken, that's the case for anyone not licensed in the state they may be carrying in (fed law, not necessarily state).
jd

edit to add: the above are my opinions and observations, and according to my wife - they could be wrong ;)
Thank God for our wives. I just check and the Ga. Weapons Carry license is good in
Alabama, Alaska, Arkansas, Arizona, Colorado, Florida, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, New Hampshire, North Carolina, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, West Virginia, Wisconsin, and Wyoming.
I never thought about checking that for some reason. DAAA!!! If I go to Texas I'll be sure to check all the gun Laws and the other 27 states. :D
Patriot007

Post by Patriot007 »

Ranch Dog wrote:
mr surveyor wrote:We really have extremely good concealed carry laws here, and very, very few establishments actually post the necessary signage to prohibit licensed concealed carry ... at least up until they recently were made aware of the "official" signage. There are very few statutory off limits locations for concealed carry, and there are bills currently in the works to further reduce those ... or were. ;)
Very good points JD. Here in my town of 6,000 we had a number of 30.06 signs go up this year as all the hoopla started with the open carry in your face tactics. A couple of places had "No handguns Please" posted which means nothing but now wear the full dose 30.06 sign that I cannot walk past. I also get a kick out those that say do business with someone else. That's ignorant. I live in a small town and it is a 32 mile drive to "do business" with another establishment! That is cutting off your nose to spite yourself, something that open carry movement in this State has done the past year.
Yep, I know, a few, with good intent, can really mess a good thing up, with the in your face tactics.
In Ga. if you are in a place of business and there is no signs posted about no guns and you are asked to leave and you don't leave in a timely manner, and the police are called. Then you will be charged with criminal trespass. In Ga. you are suppose to be very nice to the people in charge and tell them that you understand their point and leave the establishment then. This sets a good impression of a responsible gun owner outlook. Not the all, gun owners are butt holes attitude. If I need to eat there or buy something they have, I will secure my weapon and come back. I can fight with my hands just as well, and I believe just about anything can be used as a weapon.<I like to think that anyway> LOL.
Patriot007

House Bill 195 Thank You

Post by Patriot007 »

Hey Guy's.
I would like to thank all of you who took part in this Thread I started.
I'm not a political nut by no means. But I do believe in voting and standing
up for our Wrights. Just after I joined this forum I seen a lot of you lived in Texas.
A couple of days later my gun group wanted us to bomb your state reps with emails
showing support for the Constitutional Carry law about to be Voted on in Texas.
I wanted to see how you guys felt about it first hand. I know with change, there has
to be education on the changes being made. Some people don't under stand them.
I certainly don't understand a lot of them. Like I don't think all people should have
access to guns for various logical reasons. Mainly the ones that has mental conditions
and cannot pass a back ground check, or illegals. Other than that, I'm good with it,
I believe in the 2nd Amendment, with that one stipulation. And some tell me I don't
believe in it, because I feel that way about mental's, background checks, and illegals.
I know I can't please every body. I also believe some people should not drive cars
also.<LOL> With that being said, I do appreciate all the reply's from yawl and hope
to help and support you any way I can. Thank you.
+corn +corn +corn +corn +corn +corn +corn +corn

Return to “Topic Bucket”