House Bill 195

Topics not related to the forum categories.
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
Steve
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: House Bill 195

Post by Steve »

In Utah people with CCW may carry in school grades K - 12, it is still that way. A couple years ago when I was in Salt Lake City for instructor training with BCI they stated 1 other state allowed carry in K thru 12. I do not know what state that was.

I believe MO has voted to train teachers for carrying in school. Haven't kept up on changes in that with other states.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

mr surveyor wrote:We really have extremely good concealed carry laws here, and very, very few establishments actually post the necessary signage to prohibit licensed concealed carry ... at least up until they recently were made aware of the "official" signage. There are very few statutory off limits locations for concealed carry, and there are bills currently in the works to further reduce those ... or were. ;)
Very good points JD. Here in my town of 6,000 we had a number of 30.06 signs go up this year as all the hoopla started with the open carry in your face tactics. A couple of places had "No handguns Please" posted which means nothing but now wear the full dose 30.06 sign that I cannot walk past. I also get a kick out those that say do business with someone else. That's ignorant. I live in a small town and it is a 32 mile drive to "do business" with another establishment! That is cutting off your nose to spite yourself, something that open carry movement in this State has done the past year.
Michael
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by mr surveyor »

Ranch Dog wrote:
mr surveyor wrote:We really have extremely good concealed carry laws here, and very, very few establishments actually post the necessary signage to prohibit licensed concealed carry ... at least up until they recently were made aware of the "official" signage. There are very few statutory off limits locations for concealed carry, and there are bills currently in the works to further reduce those ... or were. ;)
Very good points JD. Here in my town of 6,000 we had a number of 30.06 signs go up this year as all the hoopla started with the open carry in your face tactics. A couple of places had "No handguns Please" posted which means nothing but now wear the full dose 30.06 sign that I cannot walk past. I also get a kick out those that say do business with someone else. That's ignorant. I live in a small town and it is a 32 mile drive to "do business" with another establishment! That is cutting off your nose to spite yourself, something that open carry movement in this State has done the past year.
Yes Sir, the city mentality does seem to be "just go next door or across the street to do business" when the prohibitive signs go up. Not that many options in small town Texas.

jd
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's just some things best left unsaid on the internetsuperhighway.
scotland
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by scotland »

Ranch Dog wrote:
Sadly they are being very ignorant. That is why I only visit those that are tolerant and if I can't find it with them, there is the internet. Shoot... Amazon will deliver in 2 days even to my rural area. Can't beat that.
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by 62chevy »

scotland wrote:Sadly they are being very ignorant. That is why I only visit those that are tolerant and if I can't find it with them, there is the internet. Shoot... Amazon will deliver in 2 days even to my rural area. Can't beat that.
I was going to point that out and the worst delivery I got was 3 day from a miss routed package. The only thing I can't do is eat out but that isn't a problem only one restaurant has a no guns sign so we don't go there.
Je suis Charlie
Steve

Post by Steve »

What is a 30.06 sign? I never heard the expression before.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Steve wrote:What is a 30.06 sign? I never heard the expression before.
It is the reference to the legal code (30.06) that provides the only legal signage to prohibit firearm carry in an establishment. Nothing else suffices.
30.06(e) It is an exception to the application of this section that the property on which the license holder carries a handgun is owned or leased by a governmental entity and is not a premises or other place on which the license holder is prohibited from carrying the handgun under Section 46.03 or 46.035. In order to provide notice that entry on property by a license holder with a concealed handgun is forbidden, Penal Code Section 30.06(c)(3)(A) requires that a written communication contain the following Language:30.06 Sign.

30.06(c)(3)(B) further states that a sign must meet the following requirements:
i. includes the language described by Paragraph (A) in both English and Spanish;
ii. appears in contrasting colors with block letters at least one inch in height; and
iii, is displayed in a conspicuous manner clearly visible to the public.
All the attention that open carry has brought has brought the requirement to the public. It has educated them to the fact that you can prevent firearm carry on your property if that is your choice. There was a number of places that had signs posted but they did not meet the code so you could walk right past them. This year, they have been replaced with the code required signs so you are committing a crime if you walk past them with a firearm.

If a property owner posts this sign, it does not mean the property is not protected by firearms. The property owner and his agents can be in the possession of firearms. It just means that the public cannot posses them on the property.
Michael
Steve

Post by Steve »

Thanks RD.
One more question: If there is a 30:06 sign posted, and you go in with a concealed weapon. You have a hart attack while you are in the store and they find you had a concealed weapon. What is the crime? In Iowa it is only simple misdemeanor, $65.00 fine. So if I can't get whatever it is I'm after some place else I go in concealed.

Last time I checked MO law the third violation in 12 months cost you a hefty fine and your permit to carry. In Utah it is a infraction, that is about the same as a misdemeanor here in Iowa.
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by mr surveyor »

In Texas, entering a property posted with the official 30.06 sign is a state felony .... trespass with a deadly weapon. Private property rights are highly prized here in Texas, and owners of property have the right to restrict certain practices on their property. A commercial business is private property, not public property, and although certain actions may not be taken by business owners - such as certain types of "discrimination" - they can disallow the carry of firearms on their property. Many of us consider restricting legally licensed firearms carriers from going about our "business as usual" to be an act of discrimination, but the legal system has yet to acknowledge that. A state felony will certainly put a damper on one's future 2A "rights".

jd
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's just some things best left unsaid on the internetsuperhighway.
Steve

Post by Steve »

mr surveyor wrote:In Texas, entering a property posted with the official 30.06 sign is a state felony .... trespass with a deadly weapon. Private property rights are highly prized here in Texas, and owners of property have the right to restrict certain practices on their property. A commercial business is private property, not public property, and although certain actions may not be taken by business owners - such as certain types of "discrimination" - they can disallow the carry of firearms on their property. Many of us consider restricting legally licensed firearms carriers from going about our "business as usual" to be an act of discrimination, but the legal system has yet to acknowledge that. A state felony will certainly put a damper on one's future 2A "rights".

jd
Felony does put things under a different light. Any time I leave state I research the state laws that I am going to. One thing on the internet that you can trust is the state government websites to read the law yourself.

On another topic that we are seeing here is the Iowa law is a lot less restrictive than most. Example is city council rooms or county court houses. Legal to carry, I would no way carry a pistol into a court room unless asked to do so by the Sheriff or Judge. County supervisor meetings are ok. If they post them it is a simple misdemeanor if you are caught on the property with a weapon. Sheriff office is the same. The Sheriff in my county has stated that he issues the permit so why would he care. Any of these places except the Sheriff's Office I go completely concealed. My usual carry when out can be best described as half ass concealed. And I do give pistol classes in the council room, nobody seems to give guns a second glance in the city building anymore. That building has Community Room, Library, Council Room.

Return to “Topic Bucket”