A potpourri of loading dies

50 BMG, Collet, and steel reloading dies plus the Factory Crimp Dies. Also, discussions concerning the Deluxe, Pacesetter, and RGB die sets.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: A potpourri of loading dies

Post by Ranch Dog »

Maximumbob54 wrote:If the Lee Universal Neck Expanding die fits here as well then I want to say I love that die. I recently found a new use for it. Seeing some flat base bullets into a .223 was driving me nuts. The case mouth was chamfered and deburred and they still didn't want to seat without trouble. Just a hint of opening the case mouth and the super flat bottomed bullets went right in nice and easy. Then the Lee FCD closed up that little bit of bell and everything was wonderful again. I doubt I'm the first one to do that and that die also works great for cast bullets.
Might take this to a standalone topic for the Universal Neck Expanding Die!

As a cast bullet shooter, I use them with each cartridge that I'm loading that doesn't have a Powder Through Expander Die. On a four hole turret plate I start with the Universal Neck Expanding die (I resize on the single stage Breech Lock) then move to the Rifle charging die (I now use the Perfect Powder Measure on top of that die with Gun Guide's Perfect Adapter), next the bullet seating die, and finally the FCD. I have turret plates setup for the 30-30 Win & 35 Rem. Also had them setup for my 219 Zipper, 308 MX, & 338 MX but I sold those rifles.
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

Max...

I did open a new topic, I think it a good idea as many don't even know these and other utility dies exist. I started the topic by copying our last posts above. The new topic is located here: Using the Universal Neck Expanding Die
Michael
pricedo
My Press Choice: Load-All

Post by pricedo »

The LEE Factory Crimp Die was absolutely brilliant.
There are a lot of people using them and praising them including me.
I recall unnamed heavy-weight companies in the reloading equipment manufacturing business publicly denigrating the LEE Factory Crimp dies when they were first introduced as accuracy destroying.
They were proven wrong at the target board big time and the number of re-loaders now successfully using the LEE Factory Crimp dies for loading bullets without cannelures (crimping grooves) belies the original assertions & contentions of the big name companies. :mrgreen:
LIFE MEMBERS (NRA & GOA)
44-40 Willy
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by 44-40 Willy »

I swear by my Lee FCD 44-40 die. Firstly because it eliminated the crumpled brass I was getting using a regular crimp (44-40 brass is almost paper thin) and secondly because I could use 44 Spec/44 Mag bullets and ignore the cannulure being in the wrong place for a 44-40.

Return to “Rifle”