A potpourri of loading dies

50 BMG, Collet, and steel reloading dies plus the Factory Crimp Dies. Also, discussions concerning the Deluxe, Pacesetter, and RGB die sets.
pricedo
My Press Choice: Load-All

A potpourri of loading dies

Post by pricedo »

I have reloading dies made by just about every manufacturer (LEE, RCBS, Hornady, Pacific, Lyman, Redding, you name it).
Some of my dies are made by companies that have gone out of business years ago.
LEE makes a pretty good die set at rock bottom cost. :mrgreen:
LIFE MEMBERS (NRA & GOA)
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: A potpourri of loading dies

Post by Maximumbob54 »

I have to agree. After having tried some Lyman, RCBS, and Redding dies I have to say that for rifle dies I regularly just shop around for a decent priced set of Lee dies. I've not tried their RGB dies yet though. And the rifle FCD is a work of genius. I won't load .30-30 ammo without that die.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

I had gathered a pretty good range of brands throughout my life, a couple not in production any more. I think it was '95 and I was at a gun show up in Dallas with a lot of money in my pockets and I ran across a Lee vendor that occupied one corner of the building. I had not found any firearms to buy so the bug hit me and I bought a new set of Pacesetter dies for everything I shot. Actually, I bought everything new. It took me several trips to carry it all out of the building.

When I got home, I cleaned off my bench and put it all on eBay.
Michael
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by akuser47 »

+1 I love lee dies Only thing I change on them is the lock ring and I am pleased even after that still cheaper than the competition. Plus I think they are easier too set up or maybe just better instructions.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by joec »

Maximumbob54 wrote:I have to agree. After having tried some Lyman, RCBS, and Redding dies I have to say that for rifle dies I regularly just shop around for a decent priced set of Lee dies. I've not tried their RGB dies yet though. And the rifle FCD is a work of genius. I won't load .30-30 ammo without that die.
I too have every set in Lee Dies for every caliber I load. However since loading some of the cast bullets in 45 Colt and 45-70 I invested in a set of RCBS cowboy dies. Now here I use the Lee Sizer, RCBS expander, Lee Powder thru die with no expansion set followed by the RCBS seating die then either Ranch Dog collet type 45 Colt FCD or a Redding Profile Crimp die for 45-70. For my 454 Casull I use all Lee dies except here I use the Lyman M die and the Redding Profile Crimp die. For 9mm and 45 ACP I use only the Lee 4 die sets and for 12 ga Magtech brass shot shells the RCBS Cowboy die for it. I only load these with black powder and had someone make me up and powder compression tool to fit the RCBS die. I also only use the old style wads with these and no crimp but seal them with glue.
Joe
44-40 Willy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 44-40 Willy »

I have Lee, Lyman and Eagle dies.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

44-40 Willy wrote:I have Lee, Lyman and Eagle dies.
Now that is a name that you don't hear anymore.
Michael
44-40 Willy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 44-40 Willy »

I got a set of Eagle 303 Brit dies at a yard sale some years back for $5. I've got the gun and dies just rarely use them.
Model 52
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Load-All

Post by Model 52 »

I've noted that the Lee 3 die sets use an expander die with a funnel that allows you to charge the case through the die. As a bonus, the Dillion powder measure adapter will press fit on the top of a Lee die and allow you to use Lee dies on your Dillon press with your regular powder measure.
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Maximumbob54 »

If the Lee Universal Neck Expanding die fits here as well then I want to say I love that die. I recently found a new use for it. Seeing some flat base bullets into a .223 was driving me nuts. The case mouth was chamfered and deburred and they still didn't want to seat without trouble. Just a hint of opening the case mouth and the super flat bottomed bullets went right in nice and easy. Then the Lee FCD closed up that little bit of bell and everything was wonderful again. I doubt I'm the first one to do that and that die also works great for cast bullets.

Return to “Rifle”