I'm Going Back To Hand Priming

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your handgun.
6Gears1Speed
My Press Choice: Progressive

I'm Going Back To Hand Priming

Post by 6Gears1Speed »

I had the Classic Turret Press before the Loadmaster. The primer system for the turret press is terrible so I bought the Ergo Prime hand primer and primed my cases in batches. When I was ready to load I skipped the priming step and it all worked fine.

The primer system for the Loadmaster is better than the turret system but is still prone to problems. Even though the frame has the bumps to shake the tray it still gets clogged and I have to manually shake it to unclog it. Changing the primer plunger from small to large and vice versa is a pain and I've had other little things go wrong.

For me reloading is something that requires a zero tolerance for errors attitude. If I have even one error it's too many. When I was hand priming I was 100% sure that I was not going to have a primer problem while loading so I'm going back to hand priming.

It takes me about 5 minutes to hand prime 100 cases. It may not be something for people who load thousands at a time are interested in but I load 50-500 at a time.

This is my process:
1) Deprime in batches
2) Tumble in batches.
3) Clean primer pockets in batches. I know most people don't do this for handgun cases but I do. I have the time and would rather stuff a primer in a nice clean primer pocket than a sooty primer pocket. At some point I'll get some stainless pins that will clean the pockets during tumbling.
4) Prime using Ergo Prime in batches.
5) Load them up.

There is enough to worry about while loading the cases and I don't want to have to worry about whether the primer feed is clogged or not, or whether the primer tray is empty.
oscarflytyer
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: I'm Going Back To Hand Priming

Post by oscarflytyer »

When I started reloading 25-30 years ago, it was recommended to go with hand priming and NOT prime with the RCBS Rock Chucker press I was getting (kit). So I bought the RCBS hand primer. All I have ever used and never had any problem whatsoever - to include a blown primer while priming, which I know at least one of my buddies has had. Hand prime only for me
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by 62chevy »

Some just like hand priming better and that may be the best way to do it. For me the Easy Prime work fine on the Turret so I'll stick with that for the now. anyways I like sizing just before loading.
Je suis Charlie
6Gears1Speed

Post by 6Gears1Speed »

The one other thing I like aside from being easier for me is that I can feel them going in so I know if I have a good fit. I've come across some headstamps that had loose primer pockets and I wouldn't have known that if I weren't using a hand press. I also had one headstamp that was too tight. I think it was S&B or something. Tossed them. Hand priming taught me that not all brass cases are created equal.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I like hand priming as well. When I turn to the Load Master, I feel like I"m cheating by hand priming but the plan and simple is that I enjoy it. I've vowed to move to LM priming this year, we will see how it goes.
6Gears1Speed wrote:I also had one headstamp that was too tight. I think it was S&B or something. Tossed them. Hand priming taught me that not all brass cases are created equal.
I bought a bunch of once fired 7.62x39 cases and after sorting them found that the S&B where really tight. Not small rifle primer tight, like the few Remington that I did toss, but just tight. I used the RCBS pocket cutter on the S&B and they were ready to go. Lyman makes a similar tool.
Michael
Steve
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter

Post by Steve »

It's off press priming for me. When I started priming off press it made hand loading fun again, instead of fighting problems and pulling bullets. I also find the time to prime the cases relaxing.
trashysquid

Post by trashysquid »

I must be the only one who prefers to prime on my turret using the safety prime set-up. As for feel, I've learned to feel what the proper depth is, so no issues there. However, I have been thinking about getting a hand-press kit for when I'm sitting in the living room. I figure with that I can re-size and prime, saving some time for when I'm actually at my bench...I'm all about time management!
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Maximumbob54 »

trashysquid wrote:I must be the only one who prefers to prime on my turret using the safety prime set-up. As for feel, I've learned to feel what the proper depth is, so no issues there. However, I have been thinking about getting a hand-press kit for when I'm sitting in the living room. I figure with that I can re-size and prime, saving some time for when I'm actually at my bench...I'm all about time management!
You aren't alone. I actually greatly prefer the Safety Prime setup on any press I've tried equipped with it. I find that the people who don't care for the Safety Prime don't have it dialed in just right. I admit it's a pain to setup but once set it's good forever.
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 62chevy »

I too like the Safety Prime on my Turret but it does have it problems.
Je suis Charlie
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I've starting on-press priming with my three Load-Masters without issue. While digging parts out of my storage closet I found a complete NIB Safety Prime. I placed it my stack of "to do" projects. Might as well see if I can get it to work to!
Michael

Return to “Handgun Reloading”