DIY Bullet Seating Stem

Share your projects and problem solving with other forum members! New sub-forum for 3D printer projects for your reloading needs.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

DIY Bullet Seating Stem

Post by Ranch Dog »

As part of my round ball project, I had to make a bullet seating stem for my Lee die set as the distance between the ball and a spec cartridge is just too different (stem too short). I keep 1/4" carriage bolts handy, 3 1/2" in length, as some of my round flat bullets don't lend themselves to the length of the factory seating stems either. I use the smooth shank of 1/4" carriage bolt.

With the die set up per it's instructions with the seating stem removed, I raise the cartridge into the die with the ram. With the depth "feature" of a caliper, I measure from the top of the die to contact with the cartridge.

With my Lee dies, I subtract 1/4" from the measurement and mark the bolt from the top surface down the shank. Cut it with a hacksaw.

Not much effort from here. In that I shoot flat nose bullets and the round balls have flat nibs on them. I file it flat.

The Lee case debur and chamfer tool does a great job of beveling the edge of the flat surface.

From here, all you have left to do is drop the bolt stem into the die and adjust.

Michael
Steve
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: DIY Bullet Seating Stem

Post by Steve »

cool. I like DIY ideas.
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: DIY Bullet Seating Stem

Post by daboone »

Yankee ingenuity at it finest. When I get back in town the local hardware store will be my fist stop. Thanks for sharing.
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.

Return to “DIY Projects & Tips”