OAL for .223

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your long gun.
bwell
My Press Choice: Progressive

OAL for .223

Post by bwell »

After reading about this topic is seems like everyone seats their bullets all different lengths. I will be shooting 55gr v-max with cann, and will be shooting out of an AR-15. I have read people seating from 2.50 to 2.20, and I am so confused about the difference in length...
357cyrus
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: OAL for .223

Post by 357cyrus »

It depends on the length of the throat before the rifling starts. Is your AR-15 chambered for 223 or 556? 223 typically has a shorter throat intended for short /light bullets. 556 typically has a longer throat to accommodate long/heavy bullets.
*** Peace Through Superior Firepower ***
bwell

Post by bwell »

My barrel can shoot both 556 and 223.
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by RBHarter »

The AR is often limited to what will fit in the magazine as far as length goes. Feeding sets president over touching or just of the lands. This is also aggrevated buy 50 bbl makers and I think 5 223/556 chambers. The faster twist bbls have longer leades than the slower bbls to accommodate heavier bullets used in them. The twists range from a fairly rare 1turn in 7 inches (1-7) to as little 1-14 with 1-8,10,12 being most common. 12 more common in longer bbls and 10 probably the most common. Touching the lands wise a worst case would probably be a carbine intended for 70+ gr bullets . It will likely have a long lead and a longer yet taper to full land hight. While a more standard rifle with a SAAMI 556/223 chamber and a 1-12 might actually be touching before you reach maximum book OAL for a typical 55gr bullet. Also keep in mind that the bullet shape influences point of contact as well . A long range varmint bullet may be barely in the case while a Spitzer is at minimum length. Adding more fuel to the fire is that a particular loader may choose a bullet in a weight that can be seated long to get a faster load by using the greater case airspace for powder capacity and a longer leade to keep pressures in check.

Now that you're good and confused the very short layman version. Make a powder ,primer free dummy round and see where the bullet hits the lands (there are about a dozen ways , I set a bullet to just stay in a sized neck and close the breech the remove the dummy case set the seating die plus a half turn down and call that maximum ),because every gun is an individual you gotta just see what works best for yours. You may even find that you have 1 that prefers a jump than touching or just off. 3 sequential rifles from the same tool set will be different in what works best. And sometimes it's not even close.
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
357cyrus
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 357cyrus »

If you don't want to get too technical just yet... Just load some up at the length and powder charges you're manual tells you to use with a 223 and 55 grain bullet. No harm in doing that. Being close to the lands isnt a guarantee you'll have success finding an accurate load. It's more about finding the powder charge your rifle likes.
357cyrus
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 357cyrus »

Hornady says 2.250 with that specific bullet.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bwell

Post by bwell »

Thanks everyone for your advise! I am going to load some up with 23.5gr and seat to 2.250 and go from there. Might load a couple with 24.5 also and see which one shoots better.
Makita
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by Makita »

Mine works out 2.23 which is a easy number to remember. If you want perfect matched ammo for your rifle then its a factor. I don't worry about as long as their not to long for the rifle I shoot. Like I said they work great for me but your reloading specs could be different. If I'm not mistaken either my Lee or my Speer reloading book gives me this case length. I got it from somewhere I'm not to keen on changing up reloading guides. Follow your reloading guide and shoot and have fun!!

Return to “Rifle Reloading”