.30-06 Min max Load differences

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your long gun.
norcal31
My Press Choice: Single Stage

.30-06 Min max Load differences

Post by norcal31 »

Hi, I am brand new to reloading. My press is in the mail but I have the rest of the basics. I have been reading a lot of information everywhere I can. Today I bought some hornady 150 gr sp interlocks and H380 powder. My lyman manual gives a min-max of 48-53 grains, the load sheet that came with my Lee dies said 53-59. That seems like a really big spread to me. I want to start low and work up but I'm not sure where to start.
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Re: .30-06 Min max Load differences

Post by akuser47 »

What are the bullets the manauls are listing with those ranges.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by 62chevy »

If you look at page 223 of the Lyman 49th Edition you will see under test components the 150 grain SP is the the Hornady part number 3031. Lee is most likely using a different bullet. If you are using the Hornady #3031 then go with Lyman. If not then maybe RD or someone can help with quick loads.
Je suis Charlie
norcal31

Post by norcal31 »

I am using the 3031 listed in lyman. The lee paperwork just lists 150gr jacketed bullet, no other specifics. I was going to use the lyman data because it starts lower, it just threw me how far apart they were
357cyrus
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 357cyrus »

2 more good place to check are Hodgdon's and Nosler's websites. I checked, and for this instance Hodgdon's info matches what you posted for Lee's. (ive heard Lee's info is a compilation of sources) and Nosler doesn't have that powder listed. What I'd do is take an average of the two starting loads and start there. Something I think that doesn't get explained nearly enough to people brand new to reloading (you may already understand) is that every bullet model has a different bearing surface (drag/friction), every make of brass has a different AVERAGE capacity, every piece of brass has its own capacity (like engine displacement). And every time data is taken to compile, it's done with tons of variables. Even the H380 powder youve purchased has a variability from can to can. So typically what I'll do is compile as many sources as I can and take an average them. QuickLoad isn't any better at pinning down loads and velocities untill you've accounted for some of those variables. That being said QuickLoad tells me 58.8 is maximum for that powder/bullet.
*** Peace Through Superior Firepower ***
norcal31

Post by norcal31 »

Thanks for the advice, I will start on the low end of the average and work up
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 62chevy »

norcal31 wrote:Thanks for the advice, I will start on the low end of the average and work up

That is always the best way to start even if you have 10 years of reloading under your belt. I don't always starting on the low side.
Je suis Charlie
Missionary
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Missionary »

Greetings
Like 62Chevy stated those starting loads are for our safety.
Every same caliber firearm has variances due to machining, assemble and wear that makes each a pressure vessel unique to itself.
Generaly you will find that "most accurate" load not at the Hottest load . If I was hunting 50 yards and under that half hair accuracy would not be of great importance... but then I never count on a 50 yard shot or less. If I have to lace a projectile through the fork of a tree at 85 yards to drop the target then I want the best in the tube. That is why I reload. 50 - 100 fps will never make any difference in a well placed shot through centerfire bottleneck cartridge rifles. Most real hunting ranges are 100 yards and less. Even those 225 yard shots are not dependent on max loads. But the best, most accurate load shot well will do the trick 99% of the time.
So when working with a new rifle like an 06... I load 3 at the starting load then 3 more 1/2 grain more powder right into the 3/4 area or suggested loads. One of those will probably look real good. Then I go back and load 7 of those and see if it really is accurate. If that load was descent I will load 7 more .2 grains higher and 7 more .2 grains lower than that "best load". From that info I should know real close what I am working with. Then comes more fun playing with seating depth which is a whole new fun time at the range.
Mike in Peru
norcal31

Post by norcal31 »

I totally understand why I should start at the min load and work up and that had been my plan all along. The thing that confused me was the 5 grain difference between minimum loads for a 150 grain jacketed bullet. But now I realize it could be because different components between the two loads. My press gets here Wednesday, can't wait to get started.
Steve
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Steve »

What rifle are you reloading for norcal31?

Return to “Rifle Reloading”