home made gas checks

Using your home cast bullets as a ammunition component. Group buys are listed here.
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Re: home made gas checks

Post by mr surveyor »

Maximumbob54 wrote:I have several bags of Sage's Outdoors regular checks and I'm not sure I will buy anymore of them. They are very hit or miss for me in fit and they don't always stay on the base. I've not tried the Gator checks that Sage also sell. I went with the Pat Marlins tool over the Freechex as I've not been able to find a review saying the checks come off the base. Rigt now I have to resort to adding a small bit of waxy lube to the base for the checks to stay. I don't like that. I really would like to see someone make a stamper or set of stamps that would copy the Hornady checks.

so you're not giving the Pat Marlin stamping tool a 5 star rating?

I don't know a thing about making gas checks but I have a buddy that took up casting a couple of years ago that just ordered a 30 cal die for 30-30 boolits and he's gonna have to gas check them. He's a real DIY guy and was wondering if he could make his own. The only tools I remembered seeing on the "www" were the Pat M tools, so suggested he check them out on the web. I haven't talked to him in 2-3 weeks, so don't know if he ordered them or not.

I would be interested in your overall evaluation of the tools so I could pass it along to my friend.

surv
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's just some things best left unsaid on the internetsuperhighway.
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by Maximumbob54 »

mr surveyor wrote:
Maximumbob54 wrote:I have several bags of Sage's Outdoors regular checks and I'm not sure I will buy anymore of them. They are very hit or miss for me in fit and they don't always stay on the base. I've not tried the Gator checks that Sage also sell. I went with the Pat Marlins tool over the Freechex as I've not been able to find a review saying the checks come off the base. Rigt now I have to resort to adding a small bit of waxy lube to the base for the checks to stay. I don't like that. I really would like to see someone make a stamper or set of stamps that would copy the Hornady checks.

so you're not giving the Pat Marlin stamping tool a 5 star rating?

I don't know a thing about making gas checks but I have a buddy that took up casting a couple of years ago that just ordered a 30 cal die for 30-30 boolits and he's gonna have to gas check them. He's a real DIY guy and was wondering if he could make his own. The only tools I remembered seeing on the "www" were the Pat M tools, so suggested he check them out on the web. I haven't talked to him in 2-3 weeks, so don't know if he ordered them or not.

I would be interested in your overall evaluation of the tools so I could pass it along to my friend.

surv
That was just talking about the Sage checks. I'm not sure what tooling makes them but I suspect it's the Freechex system. I only say that because the Pat Marlins checks are reported to look something like tiny bottle caps.

The Pat Marlin's product that I have on order is for a .35 caliber plain base check for (I hope) both my .38/.357 bullets and my 9mm bullets. When I get it and figure everything out I will be more than happy to take pics and offer a review.

If it works then I plan to buy more of them as well.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

Maximumbob54 wrote:When I get it and figure everything out I will be more than happy to take pics and offer a review.
I will look forward to the review!
Michael
donhuff
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by donhuff »

I made my own gas check cutter tools yesterday and the day before. I made the 357 one first and then the 45 yesterday. They both work great, and are very simple to make and use. They go into your reloading press. I'm using aluminum flashing right now until I learn a little more about it. Afterwards I want to get some softer aluminum and copper. With the flashing material (which has been hardened) you do get a little bit of the bottle cap effect but a lot of that depends on how close a fit you make in the cutter/former. I'm going to try annealing the caps after cutting to see if that makes them form and stay on better.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Great work Don, making the tool and then the orange and yellow bullets! Two of my favorite colors!
Michael
donhuff
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by donhuff »

The black marks you see on the checked bullets comes from the aluminum being rubbed off in the sizing die. Then it gets transferred to the paint. I'm going to check some bullets before painting them to see how that turns out. I think that will serve two purposes. One to make the checks stay on better ( and it's not like they fall off a lot, just ever so often, but that seems to be a big gripe with most folks) and to keep the color pretty, cause you know that's real important :lol: I'm sure it will keep the checks on better cause this stuff is hard as heck. If you spray them while they are laying on a piece of AL sheet and bake then let cool. You'll need a hammer to knock them off that plate...no kidding! Using a piece of screen wire under them is the trick to overcome that.
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Maximumbob54 »

I'm still waiting for my check maker. Maybe it's time to bother Pat with another email. I went him one about a month after I ordered and he said he spends a lot of time answering emails that could be time spent making the check makers. But it's but four or five minths now... :cry:
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Maximumbob54 wrote:I'm still waiting for my check maker. Maybe it's time to bother Pat with another email. I went him one about a month after I ordered and he said he spends a lot of time answering emails that could be time spent making the check makers. But it's but four or five minths now... :cry:
Yeah, I would say it is time to contact him.

I do understand that email is a real killer for a small business. It was almost impossible to keep up with it in my mold business and had a direct impact on my decision to close the business.
Michael
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Maximumbob54 »

The joke is on me. It's setting down at my post office waiting for me to pick it up. The rub is by the time I get back into town they are closing for the day. Have to wait until Saturday to pick it up. Need to bring the calipers with me to Home Depot and pick out a roll of roof flashing! Or wait. I think I use pop cans with this one. I forget. Maybe I need to wait and get it and read the instructions first. :oops:
Gnslgr

Post by Gnslgr »

Yes, the Pat Marlins uses pop cans, the checkmaker can have a learning curve (what doesn't), hang with it. The checks are great !!!

I started with a 45 pistol, went on to get 40 and 35 (yes works for 9mm and 357).

I have run some 250g gas checked 45's thru my 454 at a stupid load (no, not sayin ! lol ) no leading.

Let us know how it goes and if you have any questions.

Return to “Cast Bullets, Buckshot, & Slugs”