home made gas checks

Using your home cast bullets as a ammunition component. Group buys are listed here.
massmanute
My Press Choice: Lee Loader

home made gas checks

Post by massmanute »

Is anyone using one of those kits that let you make home made gas checks out of aluminum sheet?
Doc with a Glock
My Press Choice: Lee Loader

Re: home made gas checks

Post by Doc with a Glock »

I have used the aluminum / copper flashing - sheeting "homemade" gas checks for years. Use an arbor press with the gas check dies, can make several hundreds in an hour. I make them for most calibers from 22+. With the price and availability of checks, it sure is a consideration now.

Doc
pricedo
My Press Choice: Load-All

Post by pricedo »

There we go.........problem (shortage of factory gas checks) solved before it even happened which is the best time to solve problems.
I'm sure the methodology will be streamlined and made more efficient with time and perhaps testing of new materials.
A gas check/patch adhesive tape would be idea. :mrgreen:
LIFE MEMBERS (NRA & GOA)
44-40 Willy
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by 44-40 Willy »

They do make a metal tape that is used in ducting.
Missionary
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Missionary »

Greetings
Bought a "Kit" for .411 when they first came out. Have made several hundred that were used primeraly in my caliber .414 Supermag Dan Wesson, then the Contender 14" I rechambered to caliber .414 SM. Last time up north there the .411"s were used in the caliber .414 SM Marlin 336 . So in all probably have launched 500 down range happily.
Never felt my home brews were any less accurate whether made from pop cans, flashing, or copper sheet.
Mike in Peru
Ray384

Post by Ray384 »

I had a 9 mm that leaded badly with lead bullets. I tried different sizes, but unless they were loaded very light they continued to lead.

After pondering for a long time, I ordered the Freecheck GC die. Since my bullets were not made for GC's, I had to come up with a fix. I rigged up a 8 mm Mauser FC die to compress the base of the bullet. Using soft aluminum in a roll diameter of .008. I was able to get the GC to stay on the base. I was able to up my velocity and was lead free. I am using the 45-45-10 lube from White Label.

There is a lot of info on the Cast Boolits Forum.
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Maximumbob54 »

I hope they work because I have one on order from Pat Marlins. I thought about trying one of the Freechex models but they don't come in 8mm.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

I sure they will be just fine. Have you tried the Gator or Aluminum gas checks at Sage? They are competitively priced and available.

Part of my problem is that I must be getting set in my ways the older I get. I absolutely hate having to change something that I've been working with for years. I'm still relatively new to bullet casting, starting in 1999, but ramped up heavily in that I do so much shooting. In that time I have poured, checked, and shot over 125K bullets. Just hate making any changes to what I've worked out.
Michael
Dan 444
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by Dan 444 »

I'm with ya', RD. Once I find something that works, I hate to introduce any other variables. I spend a great deal of time in load development in each caliber and rifle that I own. Well, almost every one............I haven't touched the Marlin 375 or 336ER....they're next year's load development projects...I have the RD TL molds for both.

In any case, when I achieve satisfactory load results in velocity & accuracy, I do not like to start over again. Typically, I find my desired results at or close to max loads.

Dan
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Maximumbob54 »

I have several bags of Sage's Outdoors regular checks and I'm not sure I will buy anymore of them. They are very hit or miss for me in fit and they don't always stay on the base. I've not tried the Gator checks that Sage also sell. I went with the Pat Marlins tool over the Freechex as I've not been able to find a review saying the checks come off the base. Rigt now I have to resort to adding a small bit of waxy lube to the base for the checks to stay. I don't like that. I really would like to see someone make a stamper or set of stamps that would copy the Hornady checks.

Return to “Cast Bullets, Buckshot, & Slugs”