Ladle Casting

Topics concerning individual handgun & rifle bullet designs, buckshot, and shotgun slugs.
beekeeper

Ladle Casting

Post by beekeeper »

How many here do it?
What ladle do you use?

Reason for asking!
I use a lee ladle and being the anal kind of guy I am I weigh and inspect every bullet I cast.
Recently I notice I am getting a lot of rejects due to inclusions in the bullet.
Mostly on a 7MM bore rider bullet ( the mold is a NOE).
It seems I am getting at least 15% rejects.
Melt is good and fluxed several times during a session.
mold is at temp as is the melt.

It seems the ladle all of a sudden has started to contaminate the melt.
Not sure of that but it sure seems so as never had the problem before and have cast several hundred 7 MM bullets with this mold before with zero problems.

I am thinking about making a stainless ladle as the stainless spoon I use when I flux never seems to cause any contamination.
Would like input from someone if possible.

beekeeper
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: Ladle Casting

Post by RBHarter »

I use a spoon ladle also . It was a hospital grade stainless soup spoon and I'd guess every 100 lbs or so I take it to the wire wheel because of the "gunky build up" to borrow an ad line. I have that 287-150 "hunter" from NOE also. I have found that I have to run it 1,3,5 - 12345-531-54321-135 or close to that to keep it at temp and making good bullets that number 5 hole away from the sprue plate is hard to keep hot enough so I have to pour it at the head of the line and up to the hinge bolt. Meanwhile the hinge bolt end will take to long to set up . I don't have that with the 4 cavity 301618 paper patched mould. I haven't seen any mention of trouble with NOE moulds. Just 1 that comes to mind a guy just couldn't make it run he called talked to Mr Nelson walked through it Al said "send it back we'll have a look" . Al called the guy about 4 days later and tells him he can't find a problem but every once in a while he makes 1 that just won't work so there was a new mould on its way and that 1 was in recycle bin.
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by 62chevy »

I ladle cast and use the Lee dipper but it does come with its problems like getting gunked up. What I do is every time I flux the ladle gets some black soot on it and that stops all the inclusions I was getting. I also keep a layer of sawdust on top to help stop oxidation. So stir as normal then hold the ladle so it get all sooted up.
Je suis Charlie
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by daboone »

I really like the Lyman when I ladle cast which isn't often. Actually that's the only one I've ever used. It work best with Lyman, RCBS and Hensley &Gibbs.
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Maximumbob54 »

Are you sure the pot is clean? I get a lot of build up in mine. I have to drain the lead out every few months and I'm always shocked how much crud is sticking to the sides and coating the bottom. Flux and stir all you want but it's still there every time.
mikld
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter

Post by mikld »

When I ladle cast, I make extra sure my melt is as clean as I can get it. Seems like taking lead off the top of the pot needs much cleaner Iead. I have a mold that I cannot get good bullets out of it when using my bottom pour, so I use and old Lyman "ball type" ladle and I keep the ladle in the melt between pours, it seems to work better when it's the same temperature as the lead...

Return to “Bullets, Buckshot, & Slugs”