RD'S Deer Blind ~ 2014

Whether plinking or chasing big game, tell us about your day outdoors!
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: RD'S Deer Blind ~ 2014

Post by daboone »

These kids are living the DREAM.

I'll never forget hunting with my dad. During family gatherings my kids still brag and tease about who's the best hunter. Depending on who's telling the story the pigs or deer get bigger or smaller. :o :lol:
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
Rooster59
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by Rooster59 »

Lots of success at the RD ranch this year. Too bad about Dad's miss though.
"I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me." Willard Duncan Vandiver
Fyodor
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Fyodor »

Nice to see what's possible on free places on earth. Congrats to the young guns!
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Rooster59 wrote:Lots of success at the RD ranch this year. Too bad about Dad's miss though.
I'm still working on it. We are still out there, been seeing bucks, just not the right one.
Fyodor wrote:Nice to see what's possible on free places on earth…
Amen!
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Well, the 2014 hunting season finished up as the slowest we have experienced. The count is three does, two spikes, and three hogs. A really poor showing despite record days spent hunting. There are a couple of reasons that contribute to the season we had. First and foremost is the lack of rain. This is the forth year with drought conditions and there is no doubt that the toll on the deer has been significant. As I sit in a blind looking out at the vegetation, I estimate that 50% to 70% of the browse species are dead. The riparian areas (bottoms and drainage) have been hit the worst with what I estimate as a 90% kill. Basically, every Post Oak on my place is dead or dying.

The second thing that had an influence is property ownership on my west and north fence lines. This land represents a considerable amount of acreage belonging to three different ranches. All three owners were in their late 80's and passed away this year with the property was divided among their heirs. All kinds of changes have taken place but the most significant have been clearing to seed improved pasture and hunting pressure. The later has been significant.

All of this will give me some challenges in the coming year and if the Good Lord will give us the rain, I can deal with the rest.
Michael

Return to “Field/Hunting Stories”