Range Day

Topics not related to the forum categories.
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
beekeeper

Range Day

Post by beekeeper »

Well I guess I will have to stop shooting cast!
Sat next to a gentleman on Monday that told me in no uncertain terms that cast lead bullets ruin guns of all kinds.Once lead is shot in a gun the barrel is so messed up the only way to save it is to change barrels and have the old one sent to haz-mat.
Not only did the lead ruin the gun but also killed people that cast.

Tried to tell him that the bullets he shot had lead cores but he informed me that all commercial ammo in the US had steel cores.
Asked him about 22 ammo and was told it was no longer lead!

He complained to the RO and was given a different bench. Said he would make a written complaint to the range operators as he knew for a fact I was violating the law on ammo1

OH well it takes all kinds to make a world.
Will see what happens when I go to the range next Monday.

Have a question for the membership!
Do we have any LEO as members?
Maybe a Swat member?
Watched a swat sniper shoot at the range.
Never took a shot past 200 yards.
I asked him about it and was told they are not allowed to take a shot past 200 yards for fear of injuring a innocent bystander!!
Seemed strange to me but not being LEO didn't know anything to say.

beekeeper
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Re: Range Day

Post by mr surveyor »

Beekeeper, my friend, all I can say is I'm glad I live in Texas ;)

jd
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's just some things best left unsaid on the internetsuperhighway.
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by akuser47 »

That's a tuff range neighbor. As for S.R.T. , D.M. designated marksmen. Policies are different in every O.Z. jurisdictions. In general in most cases it is kept to minimum safe distances. As high powered rounds are the responsibility of the D.M. to much can happen in hundredths of a second to be shooting a suspect in a hostage situation very far out. Every shot is pre approved by radio by the D.M.'s superior officer, but in the end it is the trigger finger that catches flak. If there is colateral damage of any kind. Frangible ammo helps in over penetration, but it's performance is not on par with fmj L.R. ammo like black hills or Sierra match king. Ammo used has to be factory manufactured in all jurisdictions I have seen no hand loads for accountability.
Sad when hand loads could perform better. I'm not Leo just been around lol maybe someone here has more info. From their experience.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Fyodor
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Fyodor »

Oh, so you finally met a true eggsbert? Listen closely, you might learn a lot!

... about mental illnesses :D
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.
ljnowel

Post by ljnowel »

I have met people that tell me I am endangering my family's life by shooting and loading lead bullets. When they find out I reload indoors they will really freak.

As for the sniper, I would imagine that I'm the realm of a SWAT sniper 200 yards is about it. It's not like they are in Afghanistan making 1000 yard shots on important targets.
Steve

Post by Steve »

I read something about lead bullets being outlawed in some parts of CA because they think condor buzzards eat it somehow. I can see it now, a few buzzards fighting over who gets to eat a tasty bullet they spotted laying on the ground. +corn

Too bad you have to put up with an A-hole like that at the range. That's one of the problems with public ranges. What kind of a brain washing did that guy get when he was raised.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Proof that we are our worst enemy. One one is always will to give one part of the shooting community up in hopes of saving their own part.
Michael
larryw
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by larryw »

That's why I don't like, or go to, public ranges, indoor or out anymore.
I'll take thousands of acres of desert, set up my big canopy, table & chairs
& target frames & have a nice peaceful day.
A day late & A dollar short? Story of my life +guns
beekeeper

Post by beekeeper »

Just back from the range and a conversation with the Range Operator!
Seems our complainer talked to him on the phone and logged a complaint .

His answer was that lead bullets are legal in California as long as you are not in the condor area, and are legal on all shooting ranges.
Complainer wanted to be allowed a bench at opposite end of shooting shed from me so Range operator gave him next to the Black Powder shooters all of which shoot lead.
It pleased him that he got his way by complaining.
Just wait until he finds out that all BP shooters shoot lead!

Told me to stop worrying about it and we had a good laugh.

beekeeper
rman
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by rman »

It never ceases to amaze me the number of mall ninjas you run into if you hang out at the range a lot. I had a guy complaining about Hornady .243 Win ammo awhile back. He said the stuff was just junk. He claimed he put 2 well-placed shots on a nice buck last year and they didn't faze him. I asked him what bullet he was using and he said the 58 gr VMax. I suggested that would be good for prairie dogs, but would suck as a deer load. He of course, advised me that the VMax bullets were designed for deep penetration and maximum shocking power. My eyes glazed over and I walked away.

Beekeeper - you just have to quit using those nasty old lead bullets. Heck you're polluting the air clear over here in Kansas! ;)

Return to “Topic Bucket”