Reloading 9mm for IDPA - Choices?

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your handgun.
weaselfire
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Reloading 9mm for IDPA - Choices?

Post by weaselfire »

Since I'm getting started in IDPA I figured loading my own would be the way to get what I want at a price I can afford. I'm going to be using either a SIG P226 in stock service class or a 1911 9mm in enhanced service class. I'm looking for suggestions as to bullets and powder.

I have Bullseye on hand and will start with it, and if I can find TiteGroup I'll try that as well. Both would be using CCI 500 primers. Any other powder choices I should consider?

For bullets I have two questions. What weight and what bullet? I'm looking at 124/125 grain or 147 grain and deciding between jacketed and plated. I want to make sure I meet the power factor for one (any suggestions on a chronograph?) and I'd like to use the same loads for other competition, USPSA/IPSC, Steel, etc. I've been using 115 grain jacketed for my normal reloading but am thinking a heavier bullet might do better for both reco0ild and knocking down steel.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Jeff
Steve
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: Reloading 9mm for IDPA - Choices?

Post by Steve »

Ask a few that compete in IDPA where you will be competing, they will share info with you what works and what is available in your area.
ljnowel
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: Reloading 9mm for IDPA - Choices?

Post by ljnowel »

I could gladly make a few suggestions. If power factor isn't a consideration WST is a fantastic powder. Winchester/Hodgdon doesn't have load data for 9mm on their website but there is lots of it out there. It's a very good powder for lighter loads.

Also AA#5 is very good in that application. The powder is ultra fine grained, in fact I have never seen a finer grained powder than the Accurate Arms pistol powders. It meters perfectly in my Pro auto disk, NO variation. Lots of load data available also.

Return to “Handgun Reloading”