The Ho-Hums

Topics not related to the forum categories.
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
beekeeper

The Ho-Hums

Post by beekeeper »

What do you do when you have the Ho-Hums, been there done that, or whatever you call bordum?
I am 78 years old and am still in fair shape.
Have built all of the Fishing rods I and My family will ever use. Covered up the rod lathe several years ago!
Have several salt water and fresh water tackle boxes full of stuff I will probably never use again!
I have 3 safes full of rifles and pistols, More than I or my family can ever use.
Have enough brass to be completely free from ever needing any, even have brass for rifles and pistols I do no own.
Will not say I have enough powder and primers ( but I do)
I do not hunt as wifes health stops me from being gone for more than a few hours so it is out of the question.
Besides I was raised " if you are not going to eat it don't kill it".

So looking at the long run about the only thing left for me is to do load development using the various powders I have.
After that what is left??

Can you tell I am kinda down in the dumps?

beekeeper
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: The Ho-Hums

Post by 62chevy »

Summer is over so now what. The garden is done and put away, enough ammo loaded to last till the first snow. The only thing left is the model car I started last winter and never finished.I have a in law that carves model air plains out of scrap wood, they look good to.
Je suis Charlie
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by akuser47 »

Radio control trucks. Video games model building. Just some ideas.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 62chevy »

akuser47 wrote:Radio control trucks. Video games model building. Just some ideas.

Radio control cars and air plains are some cool stuff to play with.
Je suis Charlie
Fyodor
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Fyodor »

Maybe some kind of manual arts that need some time to master, like painting or scrimshaw.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.
Steelbanger
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Steelbanger »

Have you ever considered casting your own bullets? With the exception of running around looking for raw material (lead or alloys containing lead), this is one hobby that will keep you close to home. Then comes load development which should keep your mind occupied for a good, long time.

You are about the same age as my best friend. Only problem is that he has dementia and has absolutely no interest in his former obsessions.I am about 5 years younger than you and I can often see my interests dwindling.

You seem to have your priorities in the correct order, wife first and everything else is second. I'll say a prayer for you and the Mrs. this evening.

Frank
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by daboone »

I am quite able to rationalize a lot of reasons to just sit on my %@*&$ and do nothing. Ya know, the been there done that, it's to hot or cold, my BP is running high today so I'll just kick back and procrastinate.

Sometimes I just have to make my self get up a start cleaning up the bench or the kitchen or anything. Once I get moving it's easier to get focused and distracted doing the one million seemingly "ho-hum" jobs, that once I'm doing them, make me HAPPY.
After a day of "getting 'er done" Jamesons taste much better. :-D
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by akuser47 »

Have to agree a good drink is gratifying after a hard day. I never meant to through this thread into a suggestion box. I just love how others can think of things that I never did. Regardless how you spend your time. Enjoy it we all are on borrowed time.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
beekeeper

Post by beekeeper »

I cast for everything I shoot.
Have only shot 6.5X55 jacketed in the last 5 years.

Have (a couple of times) thought about swagging my own bullets.
Ever tome I have asked about it anywhere I instantly get offers to sell me equipment.
Don't know if that is an indication that it isn't all it is cut out to be and they want to get rid of their equipment or not.
Have not found much info on it (actual "I did it" and info) so have shied away from it each time.
$1000.00 for a press and no dies is kinda steep just to try.
Saw an add for dies and I figured it would cost about $500.00 a caliber , again kinda expensive if you do not know what you are doing.

So I have let it pass along but it keeps rearing its head ever once in a while.
But it is one of those items that would die with me as the kids have no desire to shoot rifles.

"Born in the computer age don't you know".

beekeeper
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 62chevy »

Someone had dies you could use in a single stage but for the life of me I can't remember who. Some have made their own press and dies ya just need a lath to make 'em. So looks like I'm in the same boat as you beekeeper and just going to have to wonder.

Check this out for dies you may already have.

[youtube][/youtube]
Je suis Charlie

Return to “Topic Bucket”