RB MOULDS

Topics concerning individual handgun & rifle bullet designs, buckshot, and shotgun slugs.
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

RB MOULDS

Post by RBHarter »

I have several round ball moulds from 330 (00B) to 690 from Lee Lyman and RCBS. I'm not going to whine but it seems like all but the last 2 seem to cast very close to round . I certainly expect to see some loss of symmetry at the sprue be it a lump or a flat . The 690 is a Lee and time casts 690x690x 685 but an hour in the tumbler and the flat is peened up . The 454s (1 of each) drop just as close as the 690 I mostly don't fool with them and just shoot them. The 1st 375 I got casts at 365 across the sprue which would be great in a no cup 12 ga sprue to sprue, but not so cool in a C&B revolver . I figure what the heck it gives me blocks to try a custom 45 cal boolit for the Colts carbine. So I ordered another one. And I checked the dimensions and cold the cavities are 378x 368 to the sprue plate. The deal is the chambers of the pistol are 363. That leaves me a place to earn a chain fire if a ball gets over 45 degrees off center whether the sprue is in or out. I grease the outside and intend to shoot wads but still it won't shoot straight. The 330 chain 00B mould even drops a better sprue ball than that. I hate sending stuff back , but I still can't shoot the new 36 1858 Remmy. In all truth at this point for just a little bit more I could have bought that custom 4C HM2 mould and been shooting. More truth this the only time I've gotten 1 ( let alone 2) that weren't over size and heavy from Lee. I hate to do it but I think I'm going to have to send it back .

I guess you can't win them all.
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Re: RB MOULDS

Post by akuser47 »

I always wondered how R.B. bullets were cast it seems to me that a mold with a longer pour at the sprue would be better because you could remove the balls and then trim and more evenly shape them for consistency. I am not an expert in fact I keep putting off. Casting. I think it looks fun so I may get a pot and molds. I like shooting old cap n ball revolvers. I don't own any just shot a friends.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by 62chevy »

akuser47 wrote:I always wondered how R.B. bullets were cast it seems to me that a mold with a longer pour at the sprue would be better because you could remove the balls and then trim and more evenly shape them for consistency. I am not an expert in fact I keep putting off. Casting. I think it looks fun so I may get a pot and molds. I like shooting old cap n ball revolvers. I don't own any just shot a friends.
I like casting because I can save big money, .033 for a 200 grain I cast or over .10 cents for one from X-Treme Bullets. But to be frank it does take a lot more effort.

I save almost $35 per 500 casting my own.
Je suis Charlie
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by akuser47 »

I know I need to get into it as cost of all components rise. I will start slowly a mold here and there then a melting pot. One of these days.
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

AK
It's worth it and not nearly as much to get going as you think. I started with a quart cast iron pot and a soup spoon pinned to a piece of broomstick. I had a turkey burner already.

I'm still able to get free wheel weights that are still lead , range scrap, and anti-pilfering/tamper seals that are about 1-20 tin-lead and for now several alloys at 30-40 cents a lb from the demil jobs on the depot .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by akuser47 »

Well sounds like I need to getter done then lol
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

I used the Lee .311 round balls to fire form 30-30 Ackley Improved cases from the parent brass. The RBs shot very well and rather than just fire them into the dirt, I would spend hours shooting turtles with them on my pond. They were very accurate. I had to use about 10 grains of Unique to get good case definition so they were whistling along pretty fast.

This summer I got interested in them again for a number of reasons, one was to act as a low velocity replacement for my 22 Rimfire rifles that I rid myself of when I ran out of ammo, ammo has not been available locally for six years now. I bought Lee round ball molds for my 357 Mag, 44 Mag, 45 Colt plus a few others.

If you need to increase production, look at Track of the Wolf, as they special order six cavity molds of all the Lee sizes.
Michael

Return to “Bullets, Buckshot, & Slugs”