picked up another M&P compact

Topics not related to the forum categories.
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
Steve
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

picked up another M&P compact

Post by Steve »

Went to a friends house today to swap lies and go to the range. Took my full size M&P along. He had wound up with 2 M&P compacts. His and my M&P pistols are all cal 40 S&W.

We went to the back yard and did some shooting instead of going to the range. When I left his place I had swapped my M&P full size for his extra compact. This is going to work good for me cuz I prefer carring the lighter weight pistol. So now I leave the laser on the one in the gunvault on the night-stand. If I use the shoulder holster it will be the pistol with me. If I wear the belt holster it will be the compact I just got with TruDot night sights. Now with different seasons I won't have to be removing the laser and zeroing it back in.

For higher capacity I still have 4 more 15 rnd mags from the full size. I keep a spare one loaded in the vehicle and one in the compact that is on guard duty in the night stand.

This morning Chet was in the Quad Cities, don't remember which store. They had Remington 22 LR in the 1400 count buckets for 69 bucks. Limit one. He said they had 7 left.

He also bought the "M6 Tactical Laser Illuminator" from me that I used with the FS M&P. So I left with a different pistol to play with plus some extra money in my pocket. Not a bad day considering I also got to shoot up a bunch of 40s.
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: picked up another M&P compact

Post by akuser47 »

Sounds like good day shot some, traded some, and earned some. That all adds up to a good day for sure.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by 62chevy »

Your day was better than mine, Church then lunch, home for a nap then the daughter's family over to play games, Candy Land and Sorry. The only bright side was the grandkids, lol.
Je suis Charlie
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

All definitely better than mine. Left Portland, OR for Chicago Midway. Spent the flight west of the front range keeping away from some killer thunderstorms. This mushroom cloud was rock'n Rapid City, SD pretty hard and producing moderate turbulence out in the clear for a very good distance.
rap_tstorm.jpg
From Midway, on to Albany, NY for the night.

Would have much rather spent my Sunday with family but only 66 days of this left!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael
larryw
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by larryw »

Congrats on a great day Steve, Best of luck with your compact.
I have 2 Glock 36's 45ACP compacts & just love 'em, ease of concealment
& carry is just super. Not "Hi-cap" but, 6 & 1 with 2 extra mag's in the pouch
is enough for me. Looking forward to a report & pic's if possible.
A day late & A dollar short? Story of my life +guns
Steve

Post by Steve »

Here is my brace of dueling pistols. The one with the light/laser and extended magazine is my latest acquisition. The longer mag is just magazines from the full size M&P. I have had the laser for a couple years now.

I have the same sear assembly as the bottom pistol ordered for the pistol with the thumb safety. That assembly will eliminate the thumb safety. It is Smith and Wesson’s assembly and will not be modified both pistols will have identical factory triggers. I want there to be no difference in feel and operatioon when firing either pistol.
DP1.jpg
This is just a pic of the ammo I use depending on where I am going. The loose rounds are my reloads which accounts for 97% of what I fire.
DP2.jpg
It will be nice now to just grab one, with or without the laser, shove it in the propper holster and go. The pistol with the laser has standard sights, the one without a laser has TRU DOT night sights. Now I won't be re zeroing the laser because of removing it any more. It will just stay on the pistol you see it on now.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Maximumbob54 »

I have to say that as much as I've loved the M&P series of guns, and I've owned five of them so far, they are the most hit or miss feeling triggers of any of the new poly frame auto's. Not a single trigger has felt the same on any of them. I loved my 40c so much that for her it was a 9c and I cringed at the trigger that gun had. That one is now gone. My 45c's trigger was so terrible that was the one I installed a bunch of Apex parts in and while it made it better it was way too much money spent. Even the little Shield has a mushy clicky trigger in it and I may be selling that one off soon. I'm still going to buy a full size .40SW just becuase I managed to find a .357 Sig barrel and have been dying to try that cartridge for whatever reason. But I just pray the trigger in it won't be as awful as some of them have been. S&W really needs to correct that issue and I don't feel bad calling it an issue since I feel I've tried enough of them. I'm not a Glock lover but even I confess they almost across the line have at a minimum decent feeling triggers right out from the box over and over.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Maximumbob54 wrote:I have to say that as much as I've loved the M&P series of guns, and I've owned five of them so far, they are the most hit or miss feeling triggers of any of the new poly frame auto's. Not a single trigger has felt the same on any of them. I loved my 40c so much that for her it was a 9c and I cringed at the trigger that gun had. That one is now gone. My 45c's trigger was so terrible that was the one I installed a bunch of Apex parts in and while it made it better it was way too much money spent. Even the little Shield has a mushy clicky trigger in it and I may be selling that one off soon. I'm still going to buy a full size .40SW just becuase I managed to find a .357 Sig barrel and have been dying to try that cartridge for whatever reason. But I just pray the trigger in it won't be as awful as some of them have been. S&W really needs to correct that issue and I don't feel bad calling it an issue since I feel I've tried enough of them. I'm not a Glock lover but even I confess they almost across the line have at a minimum decent feeling triggers right out from the box over and over.
I agree with the variety of triggers. I try to go with the standard trigger with magazine safety. They have several sear assemblies based on which state they are going to. I will let you know how this project goes. I do polish the burrs off the transfer bar and the edge if the firing pin block to smooth things out. I do not alter the geometry of anything.

My full size had an excellent trigger. (Most people don’t call a 5 ½ pound trigger excellent, but for carry that is what I want, with a long, smooth travel.) My first compact trigger felt the same after I replaced the sear with a standard sear assembly with the magazine safety.

Another point that matters to some people is the pistols purchased with magazine safety do not have the warning on the side of the slide about firing with magazine removed. Personally I consider a carry pistol a tool and don’t care what they write on them. Those created for sale in Massachusetts have a 10 pound trigger. Avoid that one!
357cyrus
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 357cyrus »

Now you need a shield, Steve!
*** Peace Through Superior Firepower ***
357cyrus
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 357cyrus »

Ranch Dog wrote: only 66 days of this left!
If you don't say "Hey" sometime talkin to Cleveland Center south of Pittsburgh, I'm gonna be disappointed! P.S. aint thunderstorm season a hoot?
*** Peace Through Superior Firepower ***

Return to “Topic Bucket”