Long Chamber

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your long gun.
Steve
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Long Chamber

Post by Steve »

My daughter is coming up to go pistol shopping withme today. Yippee!
She is bringing along a Rossi single shot 223 I gave my grandson for his first centerfire rifle. The guy that chambered it fell asleep and bored the chamber a little long. When firing FL sized or new cases in it, it won't go off on 3 out of ten rounds. Works great on neck sized fire formed cases though. I don't think it failed to fire on any fire formed cases.

I have a hundred or so cases that were fired in it that I am going use to work on a new load for it. Also I'm going to try putting a tiny piece of electrical tape on the shoulder of some FL sized cases. Fire them in it to see if the tape will hold them back against the firing pin good enough to go off. That would make it less frustrating to fire form cases. I expect a dent in the shoulder from the tape but on the second firing that should disappear.

By the way, he likes shooting that Rossi more than his Rem 700. Oh well.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Long Chamber

Post by Ranch Dog »

Over on my Rossi-Rifleman forum, there is not a lot of Single Shot topics but when there is it usually deals with the light primer strike issues associated with the rifle. I have a 7.62x39 and have done just about everything I can to cure the issue, it does not appear to be a long or large chamber, but still end up with random light strikes. Got pretty upset when it failed to "pop" on a hog so it went to the resale rack.
Michael
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by mr surveyor »

apparently it's not just a Rossi problem. Several years ago I bought a heavy barreled H&R Varminter (? I think that's what it was) in .223 that was plagued with light strike issues. It ended up going to Remington for repairs ... supposedly repairs. Since it turned out to be not such a great shooter anyway, and still experienced light strikes after the "repairs", it got traded.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's just some things best left unsaid on the internetsuperhighway.
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by RBHarter »

That long chamber might profit from the tape trick a number of 303 B shooters use. Rather than the shoulder they run a lap or 2 of Scotch tape around the case just above the the rim. It holds the case square in the chamber and against bolt face to save the case from the stretch. Then the 303 headspaces on the shoulder instead of the rim it worked well in a 45 Colts carbine w/a fat chamber and a 6.8 SPCII custom bolt gun that is more generous than SAMMI standards . Also the band left by the tape is outside of the ''fill'' form areas .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
Steve

Post by Steve »

RBHarter wrote:That long chamber might profit from the tape trick a number of 303 B shooters use. Rather than the shoulder they run a lap or 2 of Scotch tape around the case just above the the rim. It holds the case square in the chamber and against bolt face to save the case from the stretch. Then the 303 headspaces on the shoulder instead of the rim it worked well in a 45 Colts carbine w/a fat chamber and a 6.8 SPCII custom bolt gun that is more generous than SAMMI standards . Also the band left by the tape is outside of the ''fill'' form areas .
I like the tape near the extractor grove idea. I'm going to give it a try this coming weekend.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Had a good day pistol shopping with my daughter today. She is now the prowd owner of a 40 cal XD compact. It is a nice little pistol. We mounted the laser/tact light, went to the edge of town ad tested it out. Worked great, shot straight.

She traded in her Walther PK380 for it. I feel a lot better about her carring this 40. Nothing to remember, no buttons or levers to fuss with, just point and press the trigger, same trigger pull every shot. Thing is just about like my M&P compact.
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by mr surveyor »

Good for you and your Daughter, Steve. Although I have almost completely lost favor with the "plastic fantastics", I think the XD/XDM line of handguns is top shelf in their category. I had a rather bad experience last year after purchasing the XDS45 that was recalled two weeks later ... a trigger/safety issue. The recall fix took 2 months, and I was one of the early returns. Came back with a nasty, gritty 7 lb trigger. I sold it about two weeks later for less than $25 loss and spent the proceeds on a new chrony, digital scale and other reloading needs. I do have friends with the XD/XDM varieties that really run great and have perfect ergonomics and triggers. Nice to hear of a young woman that can handle the snap of a 40.

JD
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's just some things best left unsaid on the internetsuperhighway.
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by RBHarter »

I really like my XD40 its a little lighter than the Hi-Power 9mm but comes back to POA better . The 40 also comes in w/enough throttle to make me almost forget the 9mm . It shoots nice 4'' bedroom gun 25yd groups, even when it throws my cast sideways.(I did get that fixed)
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
Steve

Post by Steve »

mr surveyor wrote: Nice to hear of a young woman that can handle the snap of a 40.

JD
I have to admit I am suprised she chose a 40 cal. I'm glad she did cuz I have 40 cal componets to who laid the chunk. I even had her fire LE Speer Gold Dots to make sure she was ok with the recoil. Now I will have the fun of creating a light practice round for her pistol that shoots to the same place as her carry rounds.

She started out with a Walther P22, (Her first pistol, she is keeping that one.) She was finally over the beginner stuff and stepped up to the PK380. I think 380 is ok for protection, a 50 BMG would work better. But what I feel the best about is simple operation when the crap is scared out of you, Just press the trigger.

Her and I both practice with the Viridian Green Laser C5L on our pistols. With the laser I can run the steel plates in nearly half the time it takes me to get them in day light with open sights. I prefer having trideum nights sights to back up the laser. No dead bateries with them. By the way, Meprolight True Dot is my favored night sight. Their advertisements don't lie. Nuts! that's another thing I have to buy her now.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Got out with the Rossi to try the tape idea today. Below is what worked.

Small piece of address lable stuck on shoulder, 2 pieces 180 degree apart.
Shoulder1.jpg
Dent in shoulder after firing. This dent should iron out the next time it is fired.
Shoulder2.jpg
I am going to search out a little thicker lable to use, or double up on this one. I fired 35 FL sized cases this way. One did not go off, that is why I am going to use a thicker piece of lable. The last time we tried shooting FL sized cases in this rifle it had about 50 percent FTF. When I get a few hundred fired cases, maybe 500. I will just neck size them. My grandson had fired a few hundred fire formed cases at prarie dogs with no failures, but we screwed up and got them mixed with all the rest. I'm going to file a notch in the rim of all of them this time.

I forgot how fun this little rifle was to shoot. If my grandson don't mind (I don't think he will) I'm going to make it my truck gun.
Taking this litle piece of adhesive lable off is no problem. Aneal and it just burns away.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Rifle Reloading”