anneal question

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your long gun.
scotland
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: anneal question

Post by scotland »

Wow... something new that I've haven't heard of. What brass do you typically do?
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

scotland wrote:Wow... something new that I've haven't heard of. What brass do you typically do?
Everything that will fit. That would be all my revolver and rifle cartridges. My semi-auto cartridges are too short.

I use a propane bottle with a three-way tee and three of the BernzOMatic self lighting torches. I keep it in my garage and with this setup can have it adjusted and lit in around three minutes so even annealing small batches of 10 or 20 cases is practical.
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

I'm still going strong with the Ballistic Edge 360! With each cycle of a given lot, the cases are being run through the machine. I don't have any hard facts, down the road yet I might, but I know it is saving me brass life. I have had a single split neck, at the press or at the shot, with annealed brass. I also have started using the 30-30 Win, 35 Rem, 308 Win, and 7.62x39 Lee Collet die with each sizing cycle so this plays into the case life as well.

I anneal all my revolver and rifle cases, pistol cases are too short or I would be annealing them too.

[youtube][/youtube]

I'm going to add a 300 Savage Collet die to the lineup as that is a very easy shoulder to overwork. I will shoot the cases you see in the video and make the order.
Michael
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by daboone »

I see there are several videos on case induction annealing. This looks very interesting but expensive. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_ohUknmaq4

I guess I'll stick with my DIY unit. Looks ugly but it works and I can get about 4 cases per minute.

An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by 62chevy »

daboone wrote:I see there are several videos on case induction annealing. This looks very interesting but expensive. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_ohUknmaq4

I guess I'll stick with my DIY unit. Looks ugly but it works and I can get about 4 cases per minute.

Not sure what motor you used but think a clock motor would be able to turn one case at a time. Anyways thanks for the great idea.
Je suis Charlie
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by daboone »

The motor came from American Science and Surplus. It was a display 4 RPM motor. Yes it only does one case at a time but about 4 a minute seem to work out. I use a "Ove' Glove" to place/remove the cases. A Lyman Shellholder adapter is literally friction fit with tape to the motor's shaft to keep it in place.. With that adapter it uses regular Lee/RCBS or I guess every one's shellholders.
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.

Return to “Rifle Reloading”