Homemade ammo box

Share your projects and problem solving with other forum members! New sub-forum for 3D printer projects for your reloading needs.
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Homemade ammo box

Post by 62chevy »

Made a box to that holds 100 rounds of 45 acp. It wasn't my idea but someone else on the ammo brass trader site.

http://ammobrasstrader.gunloads.com/for ... es-anybody

I shortened the length to 4 3/4 from 5 inches and should have added 3/8 of an inch to the hight.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Je suis Charlie
Steve
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: Homemade ammo box

Post by Steve »

Pretty neat.
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by akuser47 »

Good work
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Very cool! I cannot look at the patterns on the referenced forum as I am not registered. Could you attach you patterns to you post here please.
Michael
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by 62chevy »

Sure thing RD.

I had to modify mine by shorting the length and should have added to the height.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Je suis Charlie
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Now to find some very cool print!
Michael
Fyodor

Post by Fyodor »

I tried to make boxes similar to those. But in a size so a MagTech ammo tray would fit. I copied a design a friend uses, and his boxes fit perfectly. Mine don't...

But I got some vintage style print templates. Tomorrow when back on my PC I'll try and find them and post them here.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.
Fyodor

Post by Fyodor »

I uploaded the files that I found on my research for nice looking vintage ammo boxes. Note that these are photos of real or repro boxes, and can not be printed directly.

Muzzleloaders amongst you will find the first three pictures pacticularly interesting: They show the ammo for the "cal.44 Colt's revolving holster pistol" as it was used in it's time. These are combustible paper cartrides that were loaded into the cylinder of muzzle loading revolvers. Each box was made from wood, wrapped and sealed in wax paper, and contained exactly 6 cartridges and 8 caps. They actually made a wooden miniature crate for each single load of a revolver back then!

Some time ago I tried to use small packaging boxes we got some stuff in at my old employer, instead of folding my own boxes. There is a Powerpoint file attached that was the results of these tries. Before you open it, please install the two fonte "BilliKid" and "Nashville" if you don't have them already. The're enclosed in the ZIP file. If you want to adapt this Powerpoint slide, or use it as a starting point for your own design, please do. But I want to see pictures of finished boxes then ;)
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Thanks for the photos Fyodor, that has given me a number of ideas. I have some cardstock that I can print on so I think that I will be creative and tailor my work to the cartridge.
Michael
Fyodor

Post by Fyodor »

I prefer the vintage way: Fold the box from grey carton, print the design in black only on coloured paper, and glue that on the folded box. Either edges overlapping, or single panels like most of the samples in the pictures.

I don't have a picture of a box like that, because mine keep jamming and don't work for some reason... but that's exactly how a friend of mine makes them, and his boxes look like they were delivered in a DeLorean ;)

Return to “DIY Projects & Tips”