Removing lube from rifle cases

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your long gun.
Steve
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Removing lube from rifle cases

Post by Steve »

The chore I hated the most on preparing bottle neck rifle cases for loading was removing lube.
This is the method I now use:
1. Spray lube cases with Hornady One Shot Case Lube. (just my choice cuz it's easy, any will work)
2. Run them in the Lee full lenght size die with the expander/decapping rod removed.
3. Run them in the vibratory cleaner with a dedicated batch of cob to remove the lube. Takes about a half hour.
4. Run the case into a Lee Collet Neck Sizing Die. This expands and trues the case neck plus decaps the case.

Now the case is FL sized, no lube left on it, and no cleaning media to get out of the primer pocket and flash hole.
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: Removing lube from rifle cases

Post by 62chevy »

And I found out the hard way that case lube will burn on the case when annealing and most will not come off with tumbling. Anneal first then size is the lesson learned. lol
Je suis Charlie
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by mr surveyor »

the only bottleneck brass I load is .30-30 no not a varied experience. I do use a totally different approach though.

1 deprime with universal decapper

1b If the brass is really nasty/grungy it gets a shot of step 3 below at this point

2 either finger lube with Lee case lube or spray with Lee case lube cut with alcohol (1:5 - 1:6) and full length size - I still use a q-tip with a dap of lube to lightly lube inside the case mouth

3 drop deprimed/sized brass into ultrasonic tub with lemishine and a drop of dish soap for 10-15 minutes and allow to dry overnight

I usually keep my brass prepped and primed long before I plan to charge and seat bullets, so drying time for the liquid cleaner isn't an issue.

It may not have a new car shine on the outside, but it's certainly clean - inside and out.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's just some things best left unsaid on the internetsuperhighway.
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by Maximumbob54 »

I don't know how One Shot works so well for some and for the rest of us it's our first stuck case removal experience. I have a bottle of RCBS case lube diluted in alcohol to spray cases. I dump the brass in a box, spray just a little, and shake them up. A little goes a loooong way. FL size, World's Finest Trimmer or the new Lee trimmer, case mouth prep with bits in drill chuck, tumble clean, (may copy neck sizer idea, I like that) universal deprime, and load as normal. If lead bullets are used I use either the Lee universal expander or a M-die.

Return to “Rifle Reloading”