300 Savage

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your long gun.
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: 300 Savage

Post by RBHarter »

I'd read that it was to allow a bolt and bbl swap for 300 WM or 338 WM,that could be done in the field . That may have been speculation but I think it was in American Rifleman.
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
oscarflytyer

Post by oscarflytyer »

My 300 Sav is in a pristine early '50's 99. LOVE that rifle! Relatively new to me, and only taken a rabbit so far, but a deer is on the horizon. My first 300 Sav was in a Rem Mdl 81. Neat rifle but didn't care for the recoil. It was nasty in that thing.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

Well, I hate to admit it but I threw in the towel today trying to get what cast bullet designs I have on hand to work. Broke down and bought 300 Speer 150-grain round nose bullets (#2017) which were very tough to find. This is a bullet designed specifically for the 300 Savage and it's short case neck. Its time to make this rifle shoot so I will work with the Speers while I ponder a bullet specific to the cartridge.
Michael
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

Ive a 314-155 for the x 39 I could cast a few and send them your way. I think the 300 and the Russian have compatible necks.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

RBHarter wrote:Ive a 314-155 for the x 39 I could cast a few and send them your way. I think the 300 and the Russian have compatible necks.
I appreciate it but my Savage is pretty tight. I need a .310" bullet. I think I would run into the same thing I'm running into with my .313. The sizing just takes away too much of a bullets features.
Michael
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by akuser47 »

I have used Speer and been happy enough. It will not be a Rd mold but if u find a starting point then you can redesign it into somthing that deserves the ranch dog name for molds I look forward to your report.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

I have a 301-618 @ 172 gr for PP. I could send a few of those but it's kind of the heavy end for a 300. I hate to see a gut give up on 1 for lack of something to try.

I think most of the 30 cal offerings are set up for the short necked cases like the 308, in jacketed stuff.
dromia
My Press Choice: Lee Loader

Post by dromia »

I'm a big fan of the 300 Savage and have a 99 in that calibre along with ones in 22 Hi Power and 25-35, I just love the 99s.

Haven't done too much cast bullet work with it, shoots well with a 115 gn soupcan bullets and fast pistol powders out to 100 yrds, for the longer distances I have had promising results with the Ed Harris AK bullet Lee C312-155-2R and fast rifle powders like VV N120, just another project to be developed further.

There is an article in this months Handloader by Terry Wieland on loading the 300 Savage called "Savage's forgotten gem".
Sans Peur
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

RBHarter wrote:I have a 301-618 @ 172 gr for PP. I could send a few of those but it's kind of the heavy end for a 300. I hate to see a gut give up on 1 for lack of something to try.

I think most of the 30 cal offerings are set up for the short necked cases like the 308, in jacketed stuff.
Thanks again but I have not given up. Spent the better part of yesterday and up early this morning at the drawing board.

Short necked cartridges are a pain but I've ended working through them on the 308 ME, 338 Marlin Express, 35 Rem, and 7.62x39, so I'm not going to let the 300 Savage get the better of me. I have a couple of "got'ta haves" when it comes to cast bullets. The first is that I want to mirror jacketed bullet performance. As the velocity comes up it gets pretty tough but I've managed to see it happen on Marlin Express's with alloy management so I don't think I will have issue with it here. In fact, my 308 ME bullet was a consideration for this cartridge but I've always wanted to revamp that design as I've learned quite a bit since working with it. The second thing that I must have is the bullet body contained within the case neck. When you put the wood to a cast bullet, it pays off not having the body exposed to the combustion.

So, I threw everything away that I had been working on and did so five more times. This is my sixth design and I actually did not wad it up and hit the delete key. What I do from here is ponder the extremely fine points over the next few days. Mister 300 Savage, let me introduce you to the Ranch Dog TLC310-150-RF.

Here is what it looks like sitting in a SAAMI spec chamber.

dromia wrote:There is an article in this months Handloader by Terry Wieland on loading the 300 Savage called "Savage's forgotten gem".
I subscribe to Handloader as well and that article caused me to get off my rear end and get back on this project! Have you noticed that in Handloader, no one mentions "Lee"?

I did have a Savage 99 chambered in 300 Savage but sold it a bit over a decade ago. Never could get it to shoot very well but for some reason I remained fond of the cartridge. One of my hunting/firearm mentors was a fan of the 300 Savage and owned a bolt gun chambered in the cartridge. From the time I was a preteen, if I was sitting with my dad, I was with him. I know that this fellow had killed more whitetails than anyone I've been around, all with that 300 Savage. He also went to Colorado every year and would kill an elk and mule deer. That is probably the influence for me.

Anyway, I have 300 Sierra 150-grain round nose bullets that I will start shooting and will make up my mind on the bullet in the next couple of days.
Michael
Fyodor
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter

Post by Fyodor »

The pictures don't show here... anybody else can see them?
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.

Return to “Rifle Reloading”