300 Savage

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your long gun.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

300 Savage

Post by Ranch Dog »

I've always wanted at bolt gun chambered in 300 Savage and found one this weekend on GunBroker that happens to be located just down the highway 20 miles from me. It is a new in box 1982 Savage 110.
savage 110.jpg
When I purchased my 10FCM Scout, one thought considered was having Savage chamber it in 300 Savage ($288 fee). The Savage custom shop suggested I shoot it first as the 7.62x39 to see if I liked it or not as I could have the rechamber done at anytime. So that is what I did and ended up really liking the little Soviet cartridge. Still, this did not quench my desire for the bolt gun.

I think this is something that was rooted in my childhood hunting. My dad and I, like most Texans, were on some pretty good leases and the 300 Savage was quite popular in the '60s. If a guy didn't like the 30-06 he shot a 300 Savage and a couple of guys that I viewed as role models shot bolt guns chambered in this cartridge. In the early 60's not many older guys messed with that new fangled 308 Win down here. When I bought a bolt gun chambered in 308 Win in the late '60s and showed up with it in deer camp it was asked: "why would you buy that?"

Anyway, once it arrives I'm going to see if the Savage Scout mount will work and if so will order one from Savage. I will need to drill and tap one hole in the barrel for it but figure I can handle that as I already have the tools for it. Also going to look and see if the 10 FCM's larger bolt handle will work and make the same change.

Already have brass and dies enroute and will use my new TLC313-150-RF bullet in it sized at .310". As soon as Lee opens up their special order collet die order, I will get one for this cartridge.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: 300 Savage

Post by akuser47 »

Nice find, I look forward to your reports on this. She looks great.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

Just a thought a new Savage bbl can be had for as little as $150 the correct action vice is costly but can be made by the layman inexpensively and Midway sells the correct bbl nut wrench for about $30 and about the same for a headspace gauge or they can be rented from a number of reamer rental sources. The bbl swap on Savages is as really as simple as changing a spare tire. Best of all of you decide you don't like the change you can swap it back,something that can't be done if its reamed , and you can sell the tools and left overs or save them to swap back later to shoot the cheap ammo . You would need a bolt head also to swap from x39 to 300 Savage.
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Thanks for the info but would rather have a stand alone rifle. I paid $380 for the rifle with a local pickup so no transfer fees, shipping, or taxes.
Michael
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

Just throwing it out there. Someone else might be able to use the info. You never know when you might stumble over that almost theft like yardsale/estate bargin.
Also wow bbls have jumped in the last 3-4 yr.
Midway has a Savage wrench kit for $26.

I found this as a really good deal,the wrenches and headspace gauges are included in the kits. The 300 Savage isn't on their particular list.
http://www.eabco.com/store/savage-rifle ... stainless/

Ju.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

RBHarter wrote:Just throwing it out there. Someone else might be able to use the info.
It is appreciated!
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Picked up the rifle today, absolutely beautiful finish both wood and metal. Hard to believe a rifle has been sitting around for 32 years! The only weird thing is that Savage chambered this on the long action vs. the short. Wonder why they did it like that?

I have already "scouted" out the scout scope mount fit and it and everything is the same as on the 10FCM so I will get one ordered from Savage tomorrow. I will have to drill and tap the forward hole for this mount but I don't see a problem with that.

I'm pumped, always wanted a 300 Savage configured as a scout rifle! Weird what we want, huh?
Michael
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by akuser47 »

Im curious about the long action as well. Maybe beens it was made towards the end of artillery style rifles thats what they had. I mean the old mentality of bigger is better for ammunition. Just a thought. Look at how the m16 was first frowned on for shooting a 5.56 instead of a 30 caliber. Boy how things have changed i look forward to you reports.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

That is odd. The 300 is the same length as the 250 and 22-250 and much shorter than the short action 308 family. While I haven't looked at them I'm told the WSSMs will fit the AR uppers seems like they are about the same length.

Cool in a way though . The M40 308 is built on 300 Win mag actions ( hand select Rem 700 long actions w/special considerations) so in a way that makes the rifle a cut above.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

RBHarter wrote:Cool in a way though . The M40 308 is built on 300 Win mag actions ( hand select Rem 700 long actions w/special considerations) so in a way that makes the rifle a cut above.
I remember that point with your mention. When I read that, it didn't mention why they chose the long action over the short. Do you know the story?
Michael

Return to “Rifle Reloading”