Hogs.

Whether plinking or chasing big game, tell us about your day outdoors!
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Hogs.

Post by RBHarter »

I finaly got to do a successful hog hunt . That probaly sounds lame but I have to put in for a 1by tag only lottery draw for all of the big game I hunt so it was kind of cool to pay my money and go hunting, harvest,and have hot showers ,meals,bunks,proccessing and cold storage. Thats the pros of the high fence hunt add a few friends and and a GF that has become a hunter,shooter,camper,casting buddy,loading buddy etc,etc it was an amazing trip. The ranch is 256 acres and our 1st afternoon and 2nd day were pretty much shared w/our group of 6 and 5 more.
The down side is that it is high fenced w/red deer,elk,fallow deer, 1 or another of the boks, a water buffalo ,3 horses,long horns,short horns,and assorted goats. All of that made the shots .........interesting at times. It was also a little like shooting ducks on the only open water for 50 miles in the late season,so fun,great for the new hunter to get their feet wet,but still ''fish in a bbl'' pick and choose.

For the Lee user portion here ;
The 45 Colts Rossi-chester 92' was loaded w/Win brass ,CCI LPP,Unique,and a Lee 452-252 SWC .
And
222 Rem 340D Savage fed factory Federal 55gr Hy shock sp.
Both were very effective and I have Lee dies for the 222 and now that I have brass to work w/I'll put those to work.

We spent our 1st stand on the evening hunt in the middle of 30-40 elk,red deer and the $8000 water buffalo so I guess its just as well that we didn't have the oppertunity the morning hunt was on the same stand w/ similar results.
After breakfast we split into 3 groups of 6 (there were late comers that missed the morning hunt) for the brush stomp/spot and stalk and 1 group in stands in the heavy woods part of the ranch. I took my my 1st hog about 30 min before lunch w/the 92' ,a running shot at about 20 yd . I saw the hit but he didn't go down ,I had faltered on my swing follow through hitting high but in the heart lung zone. 200 yd later he was found staggering panting and was put down . The autopsy showed.... well more confusion as to why he ran so far. He'd been hit at the spine rib juntion and traveling south cutting a lung and major heart vessels.
After lunch the walkers took the blinds and the blind stand folks started walking. My GF and I were dropped at our blind and the quiet lasted about 10 minutes when a herd (?) of hogs came in there were 2 pretty good black boars and a red sow ,just to keep it simple I told my GF to take the red 1 w/ the 222 . We waited untill they closed to 40yd . The red went down w/a quatering boilerhouse hit out through the off hip. My 2nd hog w/the 92' was a clean 2x lung that wrecked the heart and left him in a heap . Our 4th hog just walked right up on us while we were taking pics forcing me to shoot him in the front right shoulder w/an exit via the left ham.

The 92' accounted for 166,145 and 135 pounders and the 22 took the 60 pounder.

I think I will pass on another ranch hunt even though it was a great time and a good expirience.
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
357cyrus
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: Hogs.

Post by 357cyrus »

I did my first hog hunt like that... wasn't too bad. Beats the hell out of going to the grocery store!
*** Peace Through Superior Firepower ***
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by 62chevy »

Sounds like the two of you had a good time but ya those ranch hunts can get pricey.
Je suis Charlie
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

Poo, can't get the pics on .....

$300 for 2 hogs 3 days (actually 48 hr)
$100 guide fee @ the gate
.55/lb hoof weight for skin/gut and freeze
$20 for feeder grain
$50 suggested gratuity
X 2 and $275 for 506# on the hoof
$5 /lb round numbers in the freezer.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

What State was the hunt in?
Michael
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

Waelder Tx.

It is too high in my own opinion , but a life long friend called and asked if we wanted to go ''I'm booking in the morning its $300 for 2 hogs ,2 nights 3 days'' . Pay me when you can...... of course I was in. it was the extra fees that got to me.

In the mean time I've made some connetions and aquaintances that will let me do it for way less as well as hook ups for the incredably scarce public lands . I may well be moving down to that part of the world soon anyway.

Return to “Field/Hunting Stories”