LC -13 brass not chambering - Whats wrong?

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your long gun.
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

LC -13 brass not chambering - Whats wrong?

Post by 62chevy »

Bought 250 7.62 cases from Titan Reloading. Cleaned them in citric acid, deprimed, full length sized, tumbled, trimmed to length, removed the crimp but need a proper crimp remover as the Lee isn't cutting it. That's not the problem what is is after sizing and then checking all dimension per Lyman and lee manuals, both say the same for sizes and both say trim to 2.005 but the Lee trimer got them to between 2.010 and 2.006. Thinking that should be OK but not sure. Don't have a case gauge so that should be first on my list but what else may be causing the round not to chamber. The rifle is a Savage Axis in .308 Winchester.
Je suis Charlie
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: LC -13 brass not chambering - Whats wrong?

Post by akuser47 »

I use a lee trimmer with a drill and mine are all same every time when you tighten down the shell into the holder. You got to be careful that it doesnt move out. If it does you can get alot of variations. Depends also on the brass. I primarly use match brass black hills and fedetal from from factory match ammo I started with.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Steve
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Steve »

For my centerfire rifles I gauge my cases to make sure the sizing die is set properly when I start. I have found if they fit here, they chamber. I full length size all my brass because it has to be fired in more than 1 rifle. That case in the gauge is EW 43.

This checks headspace:

This checks neck length.
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by akuser47 »

I fire form mine to my remy 700 so I generally dont have much to do.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
mikld

Post by mikld »

No offense intended, but, a cartridge is a peg, and a chamber is a hole. For a peg (cartridge) to fit in a hole (chamber) it must be smaller than the hole. Measure the diameters and lengths of your finished cartridges, compare to SAAMI specs. and find out where the cartridge is too big. Next, measure the case after each reloading step to find out when the case/cartridge becomes too big. Then you'll have an idea what the problem is and can address it then...
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 62chevy »

mikld wrote:No offense intended, but, a cartridge is a peg, and a chamber is a hole. For a peg (cartridge) to fit in a hole (chamber) it must be smaller than the hole. Measure the diameters and lengths of your finished cartridges, compare to SAAMI specs. and find out where the cartridge is too big. Next, measure the case after each reloading step to find out when the case/cartridge becomes too big. Then you'll have an idea what the problem is and can address it then...

Spent over two hours measuring every square inch of the ones that won't chamber and the ones that will. I have some unfired Federal rounds that have not been measured sooo need to do that as SAAMI specs may be fine but reality can be way different. Next time the Ker Plunk test will be done before loading, live and learn.
Je suis Charlie
Steve
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Steve »

62chevy wrote:
mikld wrote:No offense intended, but, a cartridge is a peg, and a chamber is a hole. For a peg (cartridge) to fit in a hole (chamber) it must be smaller than the hole. Measure the diameters and lengths of your finished cartridges, compare to SAAMI specs. and find out where the cartridge is too big. Next, measure the case after each reloading step to find out when the case/cartridge becomes too big. Then you'll have an idea what the problem is and can address it then...

Spent over two hours measuring every square inch of the ones that won't chamber and the ones that will. I have some unfired Federal rounds that have not been measured sooo need to do that as SAAMI specs may be fine but reality can be way different. Next time the Ker Plunk test will be done before loading, live and learn.
Good Idea, make sure before loading. When I loaded ammo for only one rifle I just neck sized. It was a Rem 788 in 223. I could fire it 4 times before full length sizing.

Case gauges only cost about 15 bucks.

I think it would be pretty tough to pick a spot on the shoulder to measure to the case head, That is what the case gauge does. I just don't think I could measure that close without some type of a fixture.

I find some cases that are not consentric (think I spelled that wrong) It shows by the case head not sliding into the gauge. Posably that is part of your problem. I think it is caused by the wall thickness not being the same around the case, which makes it spring out of alignment when extracted from the size die. An exageration of this effect would be your cases would lean like the leaning tower Piza.
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Maximumbob54 »

First thought is it may have a really tight chamber and the shoulder may need to be bumped back just a bit more. You don't want to over do it as you don't need the shoulder to be expanding and slapping the chamber wall over and over until it wears out the brass and splits.
beekeeper

Post by beekeeper »

I agree with Bob.

Not picking but did you anneal the brass before you resized or after?
If it was originally shot out of a machine gun ( which notoriously have large chambers) it might be springing back enough to give you the problem you are having.
I f you did not anneal them I would try a few and resize them and see if that doesn't solve the problem.

Best I can offer as most of my old guns have a very generous chamber being all military rifles.

beekeeper
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 62chevy »

No no annealing has been done. Didn't think it would be needed but as the majority of them won't chamber that should be my next course of action.

Thanks for the replies and I'll keep you posted after annealing.
Je suis Charlie

Return to “Rifle Reloading”