Load Master primer setting

The Pro 1000, 4000, and the Six-Pack Pro presses. We also include the "Legacy" progressive presses; the Load-Master, Auto Breech Lock Pro
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Load Master primer setting

Post by 62chevy »

Eliminating Load Master Priming Problems

To get a Load Master priming properly, there are a few things to consider that are inherent to the design of the press. I have listed 2 points below but first I need to stress the importance of a sturdy bench to mount your Load Master to. The press should not be able to flex and jiggle when you apply pressure to the handle at the top of the ram stroke. The priming system slides the primer on top of the priming pin just before the top of the ram stroke and then at the top the priming pin is raised to push the primer into the pocket in the case. If the press jiggles at this crucial moment the primer can move slightly. If it moves far enough it will catch one side of the pocket and the primer will tip over. A sturdy bench is an absolute must. And now, on to the 2 main points of consideration regarding Load Master priming.

1. Each die in each set needs to be set properly so that the work is completed at the VERY TOP of the ram stroke. This is more necessary with a Load Master than a Dillon because the Load Master primes on the upstroke and it is an adjustable setting. If you set the sizing die too deeply and prevent the carrier from reaching the top, and then set the primer seating depth bolt to properly seat primers with this die setting, everything works fine. Then, you switch calibers and the next sizing die setting allows the carrier to go further up – then your previously set primer system is now set too deeply. This can lead to a broken Primer Rocker Arm and all of the other symptoms will show up – tilted primers, smashed primers, broken primer system parts, etc. In conclusion, all die sets should allow the carrier to go all the way to the top and have the work done at that location. If this is done, the primer system has to be set once and that’s it. The sizing die setup is the key to the Load Master. Raise the press ram to the top of the stroke and hold it there while you thread the sizing die in until it makes firm contact with the shell plate (no gap between the die and shell plate). Turn the die 1/8-1/4 turn more and finger tighten the sizing die lock ring against the turret at this setting.

2. If the primer adjustment is set too deeply, what happens is that the primer slider has to try and place a primer up and on an already rising post. This results in damaged parts and mounds of frustration with the above symptoms. This is how to set it properly, but after doing step #1 because this operation has to be done in conjunction with #1. With no turret in the press, put a fired case (with a spent primer in it) into station #1 and advance it to station #2. Be sure the primer seating depth bolt (on the upper left side of the press) is turned as high as it will go. When the carrier is at the top with the fired case in station #2, hold the handle down to keep the carrier at the top. With your left hand, push the primer rocker arm (the lever that the depth bolt pushes) down as far as it will go. This puts the priming plunger up tight against the bottom of the case. Turn the primer depth bolt down to meet this location (until it stops), lower the carrier and turn the bolt down further not quite a half turn more and secure it. Along with #1, you have just solved the priming problems that many complain about.

This is from Titan Reloading as sent to me in a monthly email. Don't own a LM so can't vouch for the message. Tell me if this works or not as it might help someone.
Je suis Charlie
Steve
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: Load Master primer setting

Post by Steve »

I agree with most of what Titan states in their procedure. But I am too old and too comfortable with my loading proceedure which is priming off the press to go back and change my setup.

I used to get pretty good results priming on the press by doing basicly what Titan states. When Lee first changed the priming system was when I went to priming off press. Lee has since revized the system and it probably works ok now.
weaselfire
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by weaselfire »

That's pretty much what makes the Loadmaster prime correctly. Then again, I also prime off the press.

Jeff
llangston1

Post by llangston1 »

So then we should not use the video where you set the sizing die to the primer arm so you don't have the re adjust the primer depth bolt for every caliber? The fellow in the video turned his sizing die in 2-3 extra turns and then adjusted the sizing die depth to get the correct primer depth. Is that an accident waiting to happen?
Steve

Post by Steve »

I have 2 Loadmasters, I set the pistol sizing dies to snug shell plate contact with the ram up. Also I prime all the cases off the press, which for me results in almost trouble free operation while loading. For rifle cases I resize on a single stage press setup with the use of a case gauge, then load on the Loadmaster.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Decided I beter start replenishing some of my 40 s&w cartridges, hit the supply pretty hard lately.

I find reloading pretty relaxing these days. Love the way the loadmaster digest primed ammo. Didn't really check the time when I started. Set down with a cup of coffee filled the case feeder, (I put extensions on the case feeder tubes so each holds 25) loaded a hundred, got another cup of coffee and loaded another hundred rounds. Just poking along like that it still was less than 1 hour to load the 200. No errors made it relaxing time. 1 case was split, saw that on station 4 when I was putting the bullet on. Just removed the case, dumped the powder back in the hopper, put another primed case in the feeder and kept going, actual lost time was only about 5 seconds.

Think it was last spring I worked at a steady pace, had 1 cup of coffee and 500 rounds loaded in 1 hour. My loadmasters work satisfactorily and produce excelent ammo without all the so called modifications sold, just a couple DIY mods to the case slider. (Keep in mind I prime before loading.)
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by akuser47 »

Good work love haveing the radio on an doing my ritual at the loading bench.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

The summer before last, I took my three LMs off their bench and moved the bench away from the wall to paint the wall. The bench is attached to the wall to steady it for the Load Masters. I haven't set them back up, just haven't had the time. Prior to doing the painting, I had loaded up a bunch of ammo, 32 ACP, 380 Auto, 9mm Luger, and 45 ACP, but that supply is at a low point. Now that I'm retired, I will have the time (and patience) to get them up and running again. I can't wait, I like operating these presses.
Michael
Steve

Post by Steve »

After posting about the time yesterday I decided to check it this morning. the press was already setup with components and ready to go when I walked in the room. So to be honest about the time after I loaded 200 rounds I refilled the case feeder, powder, and bullets.

Pored a cup of coffee, started loading, didn't hurry, had one split case to remove at station 4. Got done, took the picture, start 10:29, finish 10:57, total time 28 minutes. And I did not hurry. I'm happy and I got 200 more perfect cartridges.

The only bad part about making good rounds so fast is I have to shoot more so I can enjoy more reloading time. Good thing my daughter is shooting 40 s&w now. Might have to get some part time work to keep us in ammo. Her and I usually shoot at least 600 rounds when we go shooting. When I am by myself it’s usually about 300 now.
LM10-21-14.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Simply awesome!
Michael

Return to “Progressive”