Mold handles

Topics concerning individual handgun & rifle bullet designs, buckshot, and shotgun slugs.
beekeeper

Mold handles

Post by beekeeper »

OK I admit I smack my mold handles with a stick!
Was thinking there had to be a better way so was wondering if anyone had ever used some kind of handle to open the sprue on a 2 cavity mold?
If so what does it look like?
Maybe something to slip over the handle so it could be used on multiple molds?

A mean dirty old man wants to know.
Just kidding!!

beekeeper
Fyodor
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: Mold handles

Post by Fyodor »

I think a carefull smack is just the way to do it. At least my friends who cast both do it that way.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by 62chevy »

Had a hammer loss it's head so now the handle does duty as a sprue whacker on two cavity molds.
Je suis Charlie
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Buy a 1" hardwood dowel and cut it to a length that suits you.

Buffalo Arms offers two mold mallets specifically for this purpose. I've been using the synthetic mallet for a decade.
Michael
Missionary
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Missionary »

Greetings beekeeper
Was at a yard sale about 30 years ago. Bought a bucket of hickory hammer handles for $5. Been using them to pop sprue plates open all that time. There were 10 in the bucket and I am not through #2 yet. Did use two others to replace a hatchet handle and a hammer handle.
Down here I have a chunk of tornillo. This is a very hard wood that once it dries you have to drill to get a nail in.
There was a Sponser at Castboolits that was selling a "slip on" handle for molds. Last I saw of his add was about 2 years ago.
Mike in Peru
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Maximumbob54 »

It would thrill me to no end if Lee would offer a kit to modify the two cavity molds to use the cam lever like the six cavity molds use. The few remaining two cavity molds I use would just be that much easier to use. I did find a guy that makes steal sprue plates but I've never had a problem with the aluminum. He does make cam lever sprue plates for the Lyman four cavity molds but I've never had reason to buy a Lyman mold yet and only used borrowed ones.
mikld

Post by mikld »

I believe the sprue plates are designed to be smacked with a mallet. But, I've read of some casters that like to use a gloved hand to open the sprue plate. I've seen a few loooong threads about this on other forums. Seems like it's more "manly" to grab the sprue plate and give it a twist to cut the sprue than chance damage to the mold by pounding on it with a mallet... :lol:
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

mikld wrote:I believe the sprue plates are designed to be smacked with a mallet. But, I've read of some casters that like to use a gloved hand to open the sprue plate. I've seen a few loooong threads about this on other forums. Seems like it's more "manly" to grab the sprue plate and give it a twist to cut the sprue than chance damage to the mold by pounding on it with a mallet... :lol:
If it takes more than a tap, something is wrong.
Michael
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 62chevy »

Finally maned up and gave the gloved hand a try yesterday and it worked with wheel weight alloy. Cast about 350 boolits with only a few rejects. Thick leather gloves are a God sent when casting, hands don't get hot and the ladle is cool to the touch with gloved hands. Yup did it once with out never again.
Je suis Charlie
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Maximumbob54 »

Where do you buy gloves thick enough to touch a hot mold??? I bought the thickest gloves that I could find at Home Depot and they protect my hands from the stray splat of hot lead but no way would I just grab the hot mold blocks.... :oops:

Return to “Bullets, Buckshot, & Slugs”