Pressure Velocity and Load Data

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your long gun.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: Pressure Velocity and Load Data

Post by Ranch Dog »

357cyrus wrote:That's it!!!! I've said "If only I had Quick Load" too many darn times! A copy is finally in the mail with my name on it.
Very cool! You will learn even more about what is happening to your rifle at the shot!
Michael
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by RBHarter »

In the Speer manual you can find and artical called why balisticians get grey.

The 357 is a good example . Some time in the late 80s it was rerated from 45000 cup to 35000 psi (roughly 42000 psi to 35000) . Some of the manuals changed data some didn't. Speer data 1996 matches 1963 Hornady the 45th to 47th editions of the Lyman book reflect a change .

I loaded a 357 w/a start load of Blue Dot once and had 6 cases stuck tight enough that I had to remove 3 w/a dowl and a light strike before I was able to use the ejector. Mean while I ran Unique to max loads in the same w/oissue. I also load a 308 that is boringly by the books while I have 2 of 3 06's that run consistanly 200fps above the books while the 3rd runs 100+ over. 1 of those reaches it best groups just under the start load while hitting nominal velocities for mid window charges..
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
357cyrus
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by 357cyrus »

Well, as luck would have it, quickload hasn't solved my riddles just yet. Or more likely I haven't learned to use it that well just yet. I've got three loads that match up perfectly with what my chronograph told me. And two that are about 200fps off. All bottleneck cartridges. I can't for the life of me figure out how i can be that far off. I don't think it's my chronograph, since the ones which "are correct" were measured on the same days as ones that aren't. I haven't played with burn rates or a couple other settings yet that I don't really understand but I've a hard time believing they're keeping me that far off. Sooner or later I'll fiddle with it some more and ask a few questions, but for now it'll have to sit on the backburner. A new Son coming soon, a tornado of a two year old, and a farm life have got me pretty well occupied!
*** Peace Through Superior Firepower ***
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by RBHarter »

I load for 2 Savage 110s 1 shoots right to the book the other shoots 200 faster than the book . Sometimes you just get a fast bbl .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....

Return to “Rifle Reloading”