Hog with Mini-30

Whether plinking or chasing big game, tell us about your day outdoors!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Hog with Mini-30

Post by Ranch Dog »

I know it isn't reloaded ammo but it will be soon as I received notice that Lee is cutting my special order molds. I broke in the Mini-30 with a nice hog using the Tulammo 154-grain SP just about 10:30 last night!

I worked this fellow the previous night from 4 to 6 am in the morning but could not seal the deal. There was a bunch of lighting arching high overhead so it was giving me some illumination but also spooking the hog.

The cloud cover was break up yesterday evening so I went out as the moon was coming up over the horizon. As I approached the pond spillway that he was working, I had a bunch of deer run pass me. They were really buggered so I figured it must be him. Heck the horses have stopped using the pond, I think he chased them away! Anyway, I stopped 70 yards out as the grass in the spillway provided a good background. Within 90 seconds he stepped out of the grass. I had a great sight picture through the Weaver with the ambient light so I shot him through the front of the shoulder quartering to me. Boom, he dropped, like a sack of rocks.

I closed the distance about halfway, hit him with the light ,and shot him through the head. I hate approaching a big hog in the pitch dark, I've been rolled a couple of times.

Practice makes perfect! I went up to my range at dark with just a streak of light remaining. I shot the "hog" (really a gong) over a dozen times at 100 yards. I do this often when I figure the stars are aligned.
Michael
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: Hog with Mini-30

Post by 62chevy »

Very cool night shot but now how about some details on the custom mold from Lee.

+guns
Je suis Charlie
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

62chevy wrote:Very cool night shot but now how about some details on the custom mold from Lee.

I've tried a couple of different designs, including both of the Lee offerings, but neither directly address the generous amount of freebore cut into the 7.62x39 chamber. Without this consideration, they shot as I expected, poorly. Here is the "Ranch Dog" bullet and how it fits.

Ensured a couple other features that I find critical for accuracy. The bullet body is contained with the available case neck and the center of pressure (lift) sits slightly forward of the center of gravity. The large meplat will make this a very nice big game bullet.
Michael
Steve
Founding Member & Supporter

Post by Steve »

Congrats on the hog Ranch Dog.

I learned something new today. I never heard the term meplat before, so I looked it up.
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by akuser47 »

I like those deminsions from the .303 to the .310 transition this and that length should really make for a super 7.62x39 lead round that no where else exists.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

akuser47 wrote:I like those deminsions from the .303 to the .310 transition this and that length should really make for a super 7.62x39 lead round that no where else exists.
With cast bullets, not understanding the freebore in the cartridge is what kills it for accurate shooting. The freebore is what made the SKS and AK known for the ability to feed and fire in any condition.
Michael
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by akuser47 »

That why if you ever do start selling molds again this one will be a good one. To add to your successful lineup already. What's it cost to have lee cut one like this custom wise? This and some .358 rnfp molds would be on my lists so i can start slowly building what i need to cast.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

akuser47 wrote:That why if you ever do start selling molds again this one will be a good one. To add to your successful lineup already. What's it cost to have lee cut one like this custom wise? This and some .358 rnfp molds would be on my lists so i can start slowly building what i need to cast.
The setup fee is $175 plus the cost of the molds. The big thing is the waiting time. Lee's special orders are shut down right now. I take extremely good care of my molds so I don't mind the cost. I figure my 9mm Luger mold has cast about 50,000 bullets at this point, it looks as good as it did after the first casting session, so the per bullet cost of the mold is about 3 cents each.
Michael
Fyodor

Post by Fyodor »

Nice picture... What software is that?
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Fyodor wrote:Nice picture... What software is that?
It is TMT's Cast Bullet Design. This software is great but there is a pretty good learning curve. Not so much from the software but your ability to make an accurate chamber cast or impression and measure it. If these two basic design steps are not accurate, well the results fed into the software will not be either.
Michael

Return to “Field/Hunting Stories”