Ranch Dog 165 Grain 30.30

Using your home cast bullets as a ammunition component. Group buys are listed here.
Jim Duncan
My Press Choice: Turret

Ranch Dog 165 Grain 30.30

Post by Jim Duncan »

Currently working up a load using the non gas check model. Using H335 with a chrony... last trip had velocities of 1680 fps or so with no leading. Will shoot tomorrow and see if I can approach maybe 1900 fps... need accuracy and a clean barrel.... those are my goals. :D
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: Ranch Dog 165 Grain 30.30

Post by Ranch Dog »

Jim Duncan wrote:Currently working up a load using the non gas check model. Using H335 with a chrony... last trip had velocities of 1680 fps or so with no leading. Will shoot tomorrow and see if I can approach maybe 1900 fps... need accuracy and a clean barrel.... those are my goals. :D
Outstanding Jim! What rifle are you shooting the bullet out of?
Michael
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Maximumbob54 »

What alloy are you using to get up to the desired velocity? Are you oven heating and then water quenching them after sizing them? I use the gas check version of this die without the checks being pushed by the max listed Trail Boss load and they don't lead the barrel but admittedly they are very powder puff compared to what you are looking for. I've only recently discovered plain base gas checks. If they work as well as I've read then I'm quickly going to wish all my molds were plain base.
Jim Duncan

Post by Jim Duncan »

Ranch Dog wrote:
Jim Duncan wrote:Currently working up a load using the non gas check model. Using H335 with a chrony... last trip had velocities of 1680 fps or so with no leading. Will shoot tomorrow and see if I can approach maybe 1900 fps... need accuracy and a clean barrel.... those are my goals. :D
Outstanding Jim! What rifle are you shooting the bullet out of?
Marlin 336 this model has JM stamped on it... so it's a pre-Remlin model.
Jim Duncan

Post by Jim Duncan »

Maximumbob54 wrote:What alloy are you using to get up to the desired velocity? Are you oven heating and then water quenching them after sizing them? I use the gas check version of this die without the checks being pushed by the max listed Trail Boss load and they don't lead the barrel but admittedly they are very powder puff compared to what you are looking for. I've only recently discovered plain base gas checks. If they work as well as I've read then I'm quickly going to wish all my molds were plain base.
I have the mould for the 165 FN with gas check.... but have not used it yet. I purchased these cast rounds without gas check from Hunters Supply in New Mexico. They are BHN #15. I do not have any information as to how they were made. Sorry bout that. I am thinking of getting the next batch from Carolina Cast Bullets. Their version is gas checked. I think they are related to Ranch Dog? I purchased the mould from Ranch Dog... and Carolina Cast Bullets website was tied into the Ranch Dog site as I remember.

Going to the range in a few hours... will hopefully have some more info on these bullets. The last time I ran them was at 21 grains of H335 and achieved approx 1680 fps with no observable leading. I have them loaded this time up to 23 grains in 1/2 grain increments. Will go from there.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

Jim Duncan wrote:I think they are related to Ranch Dog?
Reference to Carolina Cast, Jerry is a friend of mine but he is cool enough that I would call him "brother"!
Michael

Return to “Cast Bullets, Buckshot, & Slugs”