Surplus Powders

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your long gun.
beekeeper

Surplus Powders

Post by beekeeper »

I am looking at buying several powds of IMR 7383 surplus powder.
On the Cast pics web site there is some loading data for each rifle I load for (7x57MM , 8x57MM , 308 , 30-06).
Am looking for anyone who has had any experience with surplus powders to corespond with on using these powders.

beekeeper
Model 52
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Load-All

Re: Surplus Powders

Post by Model 52 »

There is "surplus powder", then there is "surplus" powder.

Are you talking about new, unused canisters of powder that was surplussed or are you talking about a quantity of surplus powder created by pulling down surplus ammunition and selling the components. The former is great, but the latter is potentially problematic as it is in effect mixing lots of powder that were originally mixed to create a specific burn characteristic and those lots are not something you can aggregate and then dis-aggregate.
beekeeper

Re: Surplus Powders

Post by beekeeper »

The powder is new never loaded powder
Not much else I can say about it as have never fired any. new or surplus.
Over on Cast boolits there is a post about using it and it intrigued me.
For the price I thought it just might fill out my powder reserves for the rest of my life and I could forget about having to worry about powders period.
From what I have seen on the cast boolits post it seems to be a great powder for 308,30-06 7&8MM which is most of what I shoot.
Having never shot "surplus powder" was hoping there was someone here that has.

beekeeper

Return to “Rifle Reloading”